Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

1994 Polaris SL 650

Hey guys

New to the forum and was looking for some help. I am new to the world of JetSki's. I picked up a 1994 SL650 about 2 months ago, it runs strong it wasnt used for several years so I looked over everything and looked good, fired up the first try after I gave it some fresh gas. I am handy mechnically but never worked on a Jetski before. been riding it for the past 2 month or so it goes pretty strong few mods id like to do to it first but wanted to get this taken care of first. I noticed when first launched it doesnt want to start right up it does start but not the second you press the button. also after riding awhile then letting it just idle it tends to stall randomly at all. im guessing the root of this problem is the carbs are old and need a rebuild. it also needs the 3 outlet fuel pump upgrade. I talked to a shop who said for the 3 outlet fuel pump rebuilding the carbs replacing the fuel lines is going to run around 500 dollars. Dont really want to spend 500 dollars right now but have never rebuild a carb or anything, is it that difficuilt to do this job? or just time consuming? any help would be greatly apprecaited!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the hulk.

Not that difficult and not that time consuming.

Be sure to use genuine Mikuni parts though.

Do some reading.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...-750-780-785-s

Banned User
    +1
    Most difficult part it removing the carbs. Other than that its pretty simple. Just do 1 carb at a time and take your time

+1
    Thanks guys, still a bit uneasy as ive NEVER worked with carbs and dont want to ruin the ski, as I got it for free. I like Fuel Injection!

Anyway I know i need to upgrade to the 3 outlet fuel pump what fuel pump fits the SL650 for the 3 outlet? ive been reading so many forums my eyes are quiting on me!

+1
    The other thing i was wondering about is since there is not a ton of time left in ski season in Wisconsin. is it safe to wait until the weather kinda turns for the worse? or should this rebuild/ upgrade of the fuel pump happen ASAP

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Most difficult part it removing the carbs. Other than that its pretty simple. Just do 1 carb at a time and take your time
    Bryan is giving you good advice, but just to clarify, take the carbs off as a unit. Then, rebuild 1 at a time! A 12mm stubby wrench will make removing the carbs easy.

Also, although the 3 outlet pump is a good and proven mod, a 2 outlet pump is even easier to plumb. Just put a "T" between the mag and ctr carb, and another "T" between the ctr and pto carb.

This is the one I used in my SL650/750: http://www.parkeryamaha.com/mikunifu...ighvolume.aspx

Last edited by K447; 09-09-2013 at 09:32 AM. Reason: 10mm wrench vs 12mm

Banned User
    +1
    Contact John Zigler at Rock County Jet Ski, just down the road from you in Janesville. He has the best thing going for these carb rebuild kits for the Polaris skis. He also has the fuel pump kits with all the lines and plugs you need. Tell him what you are doing and he will set you up with everything you need. I am in Milwaukee and I have been to his shop several times, in fact he is my first option for everything I need. Great guy and very knowledgable.

http://www.shopsbt.com/pdfs/mikunisbn.pdf

Thats how to do the rebuild. Just ignore the section about the fuel pump in the instructions. You have an external fuel pump. There really are not a lot of parts to deal with. Keep everything neat and clean and you should have no problems. Once you have all the parts it should only take an afternoon to complete.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Contact John Zigler at Rock County Jet Ski, just down the road from you in Janesville. He has the best thing going for these carb rebuild kits for the Polaris skis. He also has the fuel pump kits with all the lines and plugs you need. Tell him what you are doing and he will set you up with everything you need. I am in Milwaukee and I have been to his shop several times, in fact he is my first option for everything I need. Great guy and very knowledgable.

http://www.shopsbt.com/pdfs/mikunisbn.pdf

Thats how to do the rebuild. Just ignore the section about the fuel pump in the instructions. You have an external fuel pump. There really are not a lot of parts to deal with. Keep everything neat and clean and you should have no problems. Once you have all the parts it should only take an afternoon to complete.
    Woah thanks for all that info! and the PDF! im usually a bit uneasy trying NEW things like this i mean what if i mess it up?! Ive talked to John on the phone, hes the one who quoted me around 500 dollars to have it done but hes so busy he was saying about 3-4 weeks out, i dont really have tons of money laying around to pay someone 250 dollars to do it, i would LOVE to do it that way, but the money is an issue. He also sells parts? ill deff go to him for the parts then as i have no idea what to get for it, seen a few rebuild kits on ebay but didnt know if they where good kits or not.

need to replace all the fuel lines as well.

Ski was my girlfriends parents they bought it in 1995 and it has not been used in several years think last year it was registered was 06 its been sitting in a shed since! im also looking for an OE Polaris cover as now it sits attached to my truck on a street and i dont want the sun to destroy it!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by delagem View Post
    Bryan is giving you good advice, but just to clarify, take the carbs off as a unit. Then, rebuild 1 at a time! A 12mm stubby wrench will make removing the carbs easy.

Also, although the 3 outlet pump is a good and proven mod, a 2 outlet pump is even easier to plumb. Just put a "T" between the mag and ctr carb, and another "T" between the ctr and pto carb.

This is the one I used in my SL650/750: http://www.parkeryamaha.com/mikunifu...ighvolume.aspx

Thanks for the info! ill look into that, everything i have read though seems to say the 3 is the best way to go, so i need to look at all the options. i really just want to get the carb apart and break something or not calibrate it right or something and destroy the engine of the ski
    Last edited by K447; 09-09-2013 at 09:31 AM. Reason: 12mm wrench vs 10mm

Banned User
    +1
    Get all of the kits from John. I bet you will spend 250 bucks to get everything you need. Maybe less. John has his own kits that he makes that gives you only the parts you need for the carbs. Take your time and by only doing one at a time, if you get lost, you can look at another carb to see how it goes together. All you are really doing is replacing parts. Make not of your carb settings, counting the turns on the needles to a lightly closed position. Than put everything back the same way you took it apart. Its really pretty simple and after doing the first one you will feel comfortable. The hardest part of the job is actually getting the carbs off the ski.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information