needle valve pop-off pressure

i am rebuilding the carbs on a gp1200r ski and i bought a pop-ff gauge to test the needle valve pop-off pressure. i bought stock rebuild kits and have 1.2 needle and seat. the literature that came with the gauge says the needle valve should pop-off around 50-55 psi but it is not even opening at 60 psi i followed directions that came with the gauge, can anyone help me with this?
    rich.allen

+1
    I have had a lot of ski that had way too much pop off pressure. just make sure the lever arms are level with the top of the carbs and not bent down. also the kits normally have different springs in them they are color coded Black, gold, dull silver, shiny you can try a lighter spring to get the pressure down.
    Just make sure your using WD40 or something like that when your testing the pressure it keeps the needle from sticking in the seat and gives a more accurate pop off reading.

thanks for the info, i tried installing the old n/s set-up back on one of the carbs and tried the test again ,same results. i read in a thread that the pop- off for a 1.2 n/s and 115 gram spring set-up could be as high as 70-80 psi. the rebuild kit only came with one spring. the old spring is a gold color spring. i also checked the comp. on the cyls. after i removed the carbs and the exhaust sys. the readings i got were 95,100,100. i was told by friend the readings should be in the 110-130 psi range but the engine would run with that comp. i'm wondering if i should proceed withe the carbs or should i budget for a new engine. it would be such a waste to go through all of this to find the engine is not any good.

rich.allen

Thread Information