Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

VXS first ride and impressions

Took my 2 VXS out for the first time today, First impression is awesome, I took the advice of a couple of folks here and broke’em in hard after a 15 minute warm up and they ran flawless. My 14 year old son had one (5’8, 120 lbs.) and I (6’5, 250 lbs.) had the other. One of my friends who just bought a Kawi f15 2 months ago also showed up with his ski. Smoked him out of the hole and top end (67 mph). I mean it wasn’t even close. We swapped skis just to make sure it wasn’t the riders and I notice a big difference on the holeshot. The Kawi wasn’t slow but there is a very noticeable difference and my buddy totally agreed. I only mention this because I was going to get a pair of Kawi’s before I read some good things on the VXS and VXR. My son was literally able to shot himself out of the water from a stand still w/ no problem. All in all I’m very pleased with these things. I can only imagine the power you SHO guys must feel if you have the same motor but supercharged. As for regular gas that’s a negative, the manual clearly says it 90 octane or higher which leaves me using the high test since the cutoff point in NC is 87, 89, and 93 octane. Compression is 11 to 1 on this thing which is relatively high for pump gas.

Nice! Glad your liking it.
    I'd be happy though, Us poor California guys have to live with Max 91 pump stuff. Have to go VR at certain gas stations for better here. Oh and the VR is 100 Octane and latest I saw was $8.99 a gallon!

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    It only reqiures 87 Octance Fuel.....and the compression is 11.4 to 1 actually.......

Quote from Yamahas website.......

The Engine
    The heart of the Yamaha VXR/VXS is the industry’s first and only 1.8L engine that is the largest displacement motor ever designed for a personal watercraft. Exclusive to Yamaha, this engine produces awesome raw power, but it is also exceptionally fuel efficient and optimized to deliver the utmost performance using Regular Unleaded fuel.

+1
    today was the first day on mine VXS as well, it definitely runs alot better than i exspected, but i'm coming from a sea doo gsxltd to a way differerent machine. it had 0 hrs on it when i lanched it this morning, i rode it somewhat easy for the first hr then started playing till the 1.5 mark, then it was full on !!!!!!!!! great machine !!!!!!!!

+1
    Glad your happy with the buy! I haven't seen another VXS/R on the water since I got mine a month ago... Only Sea Cows to beat up on at my lakes for some reason.

I am really, really impressed with mine as well... Im @ 20 Hrs now and it keeps getting faster

The only thing that could use some work is the big couple bounces I get coming hard out of the hole in the bigger chop.. but its only a problem late in the day when the waters rough and the tanks empty... On the morning glass it's the best Ski I've ever ridden.

I am super impressed with my VXR. This thing is a rocket on the water compared to my GP760....

OK, checked w/ the dealer and he advised that Yamaha recommends 90 octane and that the owner’s manual is correct. He said the ski will run on 87 octane but not as well as 90 or above. One of their repair technicians (mechanic) also spoke to me and he said he recommends premium in the summer for sure. He said the term regular gas is up for interpretation by the manufacturers.

The manual states minimum octane number (PON) as 86 and (RON) as 90. PON stands for pump octane number and that is what you need to look at. RON stands for research octane number and is not the same rating as that labeled on the pump. For example, a POV of 86.6 has a RON rating of 90 on average. This is confusing, even for the dealer. Regular gas (87) is fine, but I use 89 for a little safety margin.

Quote Originally Posted by smokeonthewater View Post
    The manual states minimum octane number (PON) as 86 and (RON) as 90. PON stands for pump octane number and that is what you need to look at. RON stands for research octane number and is not the same rating as that labeled on the pump. For example, a POV of 86.6 has a RON rating of 90 on average. This is confusing, even for the dealer. Regular gas (87) is fine, but I use 89 for a little safety margin.
    Correct. 87 octane is what is required. Even 89 has no benefit whatsoever on the stock ski, but it won't hurt anything.

+1
    I'm in california, so we have 87, 89, 91, I think 89 is bs, and a waste, either I go 87 or 91.. no point in pouring 89... 91 is just 10 cent more ... wow cant believe it has 11.4 to 1 compression. Shouldn't that be running high octane fuel???

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information