Waste Gate Solenoid

Shawn, I have moved this to a new thread because I realized that the other thread was a sticky.

You suggested

Measure and see if you have 8VDC (when at idle) at the connection. Sounds like you don't. If you don't, replace the solenoid because the coil is bad, but this is uncommon.

Most likely you have a corrosion issue with your wiring not sending any voltage to the solenoid..

Shawn

I put a volt meter on the solenoid today and was reading only .08 volts DC with the engine running. That is not a typo .08 not 8. When I removed the meter it went to 0 so I was getting good contact with the connector. I just want to make sure that it should be 8 volts. Maybe my meter has a problem, I should have tested it on the battery but I did not think about it at the time and it is back at the lake? The wiring and connectors look good from an external inspection. I ride in fresh water and spray pretty good with CRC most of the time so the top and sides of the engine look really good. I do have some light corrosion on the turbo and turbo actuator. Anyway would this indicate a bad ECM? Is the ECM what sends the 8 volts to the WGS?

I have a WGS on order. I tried your WGS test again today and I cannot blow into the vacuum line when at idle. As I mentioned before I took the WGS apart and it looked really clean, I sprayed it with CRC contact cleaner anyway and put it back together.

What do you think about the .08 volt reading at the WGS connector? By the way this was with the connector disconnected from the WGS in case that makes any difference. I did not see a good way to test while it was connected.

+1
    Hmmm I would think ecu would supply wgs with voltage intill boost climbs above 11.8 then it does its best to maintain that psi either by lowering volts or pulsing voltage. Not sure which . I would get a 9v batt and wire to wgs and see if that makes it works

Well just to close this out. I installed new WGS and new plugs and the ski runs like new. This won't mean a lot to the folks who were not following the original post before I moved it here but to those who helped especially Shawn thanks for all the advice.

I build Horsepower
    +1
    Glad you got it fixed.

Shawn

Sorry to bump this up.

I have searched the forum and have not found an answer anywhere. I have a 2006 F-12X I purchased aobout a year ago with 40 hours on it. it was an NOS unit that was purchased in 2009. The unit was pristene, smelled like it just came out of the factory floor, and had no corrosion. I ride in Salt Water, flush with Salt Away after each weekend, grease, and then CRC. About two weeks ago I started getting an intermittent FI code 25 and the ski started being limited to about 5,400 at WOT. I ran the dignostics on it, and while and found that i do need to order a new knock sensor, which I have done. At the same time i thought i would run the test on the waste gate solenoid, I could not blow through when off, i could blow through when idling (the air going through it was fluttering slightl) and then i ran the voltage check on the WGS. With the connector off and the ski idling i get right at 3.0 volts (fluctuates slightly).

Nitro, what are your thoughts on

Based on what i read above i should see 8 volts.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

+1
    depending on your volt meter, you could read lots of things.
    Have you tried it since you replaced the knock sensor? From your description it sounds like it is working.

I have not gotten the sensor yet, although it looks like it probably shipped today. should be at my house tomorrow or Monday.

is it normal for the WGS to flutter when it is blown through?

I build Horsepower
    +1
    Yes it is.

Shawn

Thanks!

Thread Information