2005 Challenger Grate Question (Pictures posted)

Hi im new here, i am up in B.C Canada on Vancouver island.

I have just bought a 2005 seadoo challenger with the 185 Hp S/C rotax engine its got alot of Hrs at 754 on a 185 Hp Rotax SC engine.
    Thats what the dealer computor said.
    the boat spent its entire life was on a lake in the interior of B.C it went over 40 MPH and felt like it had power to go faster when i test drove it .
    Anyway i dont have the service records tho it was for sure serviced regular.

I wonder whats the compression where you would think about rebuilding it ?
    How many Hrs before one of theses engines has to be rebuilt if its oil is changed and its serviced regular ?
    Im gona get a service before i go out again so they can do a compression test then.
    I followed the info here and pulled the S/C it looks good has the new steel washers to.

Also any Probs with the rock grate fingers busting off ?
    it dont have Hydrosurge or hydro suck it has a switch that flicks the gate down to remove weeds ect on the dash it wont pop down unless you hit the switch.
    It looks like cast Alum grate is there better a S/S replacement maby a # ?

were the 2005s good engines the 185s? I was disapointed it wasnt a 215 Hp but im not sure if theres really a big diffrence. its my frist seadoo jet boat.
    The drive and prop wear ring all look good to.
    Any advise would be great
    Last edited by Dingus; 07-25-2011 at 09:55 AM.

+1
    welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
    Hi im new here, i am up in B.C Canada on Vancouver island.

I have just bought a 2005 seadoo challenger with the 185 Hp S/C rotax engine its got alot of Hrs at 754 on a 185 Hp Rotax SC engine.
    Thats what the dealer computor said.
    the boat spent its entire life was on a lake in the interior of B.C it went over 40 MPH and felt like it had power to go faster when i test drove it .
    Anyway i dont have the service records tho it was for sure serviced regular.

I wonder whats the compression where you would think about rebuilding it ?
    obvioulsly you would not want real low comp test (if less then 110 could be sign of a weak link, but also you want your comp test for each cylinder to be very close to the same accross all there.
    How many Hrs before one of theses engines has to be rebuilt if its oil is changed and its serviced regular ?They can last forever before a rebuild, it just all depends on the maintance and care.
    Im gona get a service before i go out again so they can do a compression test then.
    I followed the info here and pulled the S/C it looks good has the new steel washers to.
    If you get some low or irratic comp accross each cylinder you then can do a leak down test to see where the low comp might be coming from. Also any Probs with the rock grate fingers busting off ?
    it dont have Hydrosurge or hydro suck it has a switch that flicks the gate down to remove weeds ect on the dash it wont pop down unless you hit the switch.
    It looks like cast Alum grate is there better a S/S replacement maby a # ?
    not sure about this, you got any pics????

were the 2005s good engines the 185s? I was disapointed it wasnt a 215 Hp but im not sure if theres really a big diffrence. its my frist seadoo jet boat.yes the 185 are good engines, they just dont have the intercooler.
    The drive and prop wear ring all look good to.
    Any advise would be great

Great, Thanks!
    I will get some pics of the grate later and post them.

Heres a Picture of my Alum rock grate what do you guys think is there a better one i can buy made of S/S?
    2005 has the dash switch that lowers the grate look close you will see the arm thats attached to the grate. I dont think future models have this they all went to hydrosurge.

Can someone tell me if someone Makes a replacement stainless steel grate for theses 2005 Challengers ?

I took mine off and threw it away. Also my pump support insert kept ripping off so I had that welded to the ride plate. Getting rid of those silly tines seemed to help keep her hooked up better too.

My lake has little to no debris so I have not had an issue. If your lake is "trashy" you may want to keep them...

Quote Originally Posted by cfnnslsq View Post
    I took mine off and threw it away. Also my pump support insert kept ripping off so I had that welded to the ride plate. Getting rid of those silly tines seemed to help keep her hooked up better too.

My lake has little to no debris so I have not had an issue. If your lake is "trashy" you may want to keep them...
    Whats a pump suport insert ?
    Whats a Ride Plate ?
    Sorry im new to theses so dont know all the jet boat lingo.

Ride plate is the big metal piece bolted on the back of the boat below the jet pump. Pump support insert is the little "wedge like" thing bolted to the ride plate with two 10mm bolts. It serves to direct water up into the pump tunnel.

Thread Information