Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

99 Sea Doo GTX dieing issue

I have a 1999 sea doo GTX. I can get it started and it idles fine but after abotu 2-3 minutes riding it it will out of nowhere just die. The motor shuts off and everything. Almost like something in the computer is shutting it off or like a fuel problem. But it runs fine for the first couple minutes so it doesnt make sense. After it sits for a minute or so i can start it back up and do it all over again. It did it to me 6 times today and only on one time on the dashboard it said hi temp. But idk if that has anything to do with it. Any help is extremely appreciated!

Thought i would add a little more info also that i just remembered. When putting the lanyard on the post it only beeps when it feels like it. Sometimes it beeps twice and sometimes it never beeps. Also when it dies the dash board completly shuts off sometimes. Not everytime but somtimes

+1
    is this an RFI? You need to test the rectifier and stator. Sounds like that could be the problem. Down load the manual and follow the testing procedures. You could also search on here for "rectifier or 12v low" there should be plenty of info on that topic. Also check pwctoday forum.

Quote Originally Posted by olds72 View Post
    is this an RFI? You need to test the rectifier and stator. Sounds like that could be the problem. Down load the manual and follow the testing procedures. You could also search on here for "rectifier or 12v low" there should be plenty of info on that topic. Also check pwctoday forum.
    Yes its actually the exact looking one in your picture there. The gold and white one! Anyways i JUST replaced the rectifier right before i put it in the water today. So thats not it. It will idle all day long but it dont like driving around for more than a few minutes.

+1
    did you actually perform the test that I mentioned. The RFI requires the correct voltage to behave correctly. You can't rule out the rectifier because you put another one in. The testing procedures are in the manual. You will also need to test the stator. The stator gets small metal shavings in it and shorts out the rectifier. If you search and read, you will learn.... I had all these problems last year, along with many others. Also do a compression test, just to rule that out.

+1

+1
    The red and black wires on the rectifier should show 12v (battery voltage) at idle and it should increas when you rev the engine. The yellow wires on the stator should not have more the 1 ohm between them.

Quote Originally Posted by olds72 View Post
    The red and black wires on the rectifier should show 12v (battery voltage) at idle and it should increas when you rev the engine. The yellow wires on the stator should not have more the 1 ohm between them.
    How do i test them? Obviously it would have to stay plugged in so how do i get to the wires to test them?

Also i tested the volts on the battery while running and it was charging to 13.6 to 13.8 at idle.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by maczilla23 View Post
    How do i test them? Obviously it would have to stay plugged in so how do i get to the wires to test them?
    down load the manual. it decsribes how to perform the test.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information