Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

98 GP1200 Will Only run for a minute

I've got a stock 1998 GP1200 that has always run great. I've used it half a dozen times this summer with no problems whatsoever.

Today, I was out jumping for over an hour, and on my way back in, doing around 40-50mph, the engine just completely cut out and died. The engine didn't want to crank smoothly, almost as if the battery was weak, but it wasn't. After about ten minutes and some starter fluid I was able to get it started, but only for about thirty seconds. I tried this a few more times, and either after about 30 seconds or until I gave half throttle it would die. Halfway through this ordeal the low oil light came on, but my oil tank was full. Ended up having to get towed back in.

Seems to me like this would be an oil pump issue? Likely any permanent damage? (Didn't run it for more than a minute or so once I realized it could be a lube issue). Suggestions for diagnosing?

Thanks!

do a compression test and see what the psi on each pot is, if one is down that may explain your strange cranking, if one pot has gone without oil (broken oil line) then it may have started to seize see what the comp is like and go from there...

also do a visual check over the carbys, can you see and oil in the bilge, broken hoses, anything obvious...

+1
    The low oil light probably was just a false alarm since the tank was full. You might have an oil level sensor problem or all the cranking you were doing to try to start the engine caused some low voltage at the gauge cluster and it triggered a false alarm. Its happened to me.
    It does, however, kinda sound like it may have been seizing up a little. Check the compression as stated. You could have a fuel or oil supply problem to one cylinder.

Thanks for the responses guys. Was able to check ski today. Compression is first two cylinders was 120 cold. Third cylinder had no pressure (0 PSI). Engine cranks fine, no weird noises or anything. Spark plug in dead cylinder was dry and dark tan, which makes me believe it was running lean. Could it be the reeds allowing pressure to escape or am I looking at a bad cylinder/piston? Next move?

Thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kunfooki View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys. Was able to check ski today. Compression is first two cylinders was 120 cold. Third cylinder had no pressure (0 PSI). Engine cranks fine, no weird noises or anything. Spark plug in dead cylinder was dry and dark tan, which makes me believe it was running lean. Could it be the reeds allowing pressure to escape or am I looking at a bad cylinder/piston? Next move?

Thanks!
    Ouch....time for a rebuild

Whole thing needs a rebuild you think? Or just that one cylinder/piston? Best place to get parts? SBT?

(No chance of this being reeds?) Just wishful thinking?

Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kunfooki View Post
    Whole thing needs a rebuild you think? Or just that one cylinder/piston? Best place to get parts? SBT?

(No chance of this being reeds?) Just wishful thinking?

Thanks
    No telling what the carnage is until the heads are pulled

+1
    I agree. Dig into it and take a look. How many hours on the ski?

Going to try to pull the heads today and will post some pics. Ski has under 40 hours, almost all freshwater until the last five or so. Has been meticulously cleaned and cared for .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information