Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What's the Story With Performance parts.....

Are part manufacturers actually testing these so called performance and ski improvment products they are realising to the market.
    It seems all to common that theres a new, Must have, best product in the world, mod or product to fix something that the ski manufacturer got wrong, only to have it be a total loss a couple of weeks later...Eveyone jumps on it like its the new best thing, then all you read is the issues people are having after everyone has jumped the gun and shelled out for this crap, then of coarse comes the "ow but you didnt install it properly or you need to grease it 50 times a day(forgot to mention that)....This would include products from the bigger so called perfomance parts manufaturers too......
    It amazes me how many products are around that are crap, then Buyers have to modify them to make them fit or make them not fall apart, or not sink or destroy your ski.....

Anyone else see a trend.....

+1
    What product are you talking about if i may ask??

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooche View Post
    Anyone else see a trend.....
    I've seen this trend since the early 90's. The only thing thats changed is there are way less players in the aftermarket world now. That's why you get bent over on everything you buy! No manufacturer competition = screwed over customers

bellow band, riva intake grate,Riva BOV, les cooke ecu maps, bearing carriers for drive shafts, Intercooler pipes and Brackets that don't fit. there was some venturi ruduction nozzle thing that would snap....I don't know surly there's more....Everyone just seems to make excuses, or he's a good guy he'll sort you out....But at the end of the day how much R&D and testing really go into these products, before the are shipped out...Its like the new Turbo kit, looks like a nice kit, but They are made to order...so how many have actually been tested and for how many hours. How many have actually been made.....

+1
    For the most part, it's the public. I've repeatedly seen (friends) and heard (second hand) of choosing cost over function/longevity/quality regardless the application. Paint, tools, fuel pumps, clothes, oil, tires, etc...
    I gave up after a lengthy conversation with an acquaintance concerning tires.
    Tire A will last 70,000 miles (guaranteed). Cost=$120 per tire
    Tire B will last 30,000 miles (not guaranteed). Cost=$100 per tire
    The intelligent choice escaped them.
    Most manufacturers know cheaper products=more sales.
    People willing to pay more for a quality product are in the minority.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooche View Post
    bellow band, riva intake grate,Riva BOV, les cooke ecu maps, bearing carriers for drive shafts, Intercooler pipes and Brackets that don't fit. there was some venturi ruduction nozzle thing that would snap....I don't know surly there's more....Everyone just seems to make excuses, or he's a good guy he'll sort you out....But at the end of the day how much R&D and testing really go into these products, before the are shipped out...Its like the new Turbo kit, looks like a nice kit, but They are made to order...so how many have actually been tested and for how many hours. How many have actually been made.....
    I don't know about all this stuff... but the ecu reflashes(3 for me) I have gotten from Les Cooke have worked fine for me and everybody else I know that runs one. The rest of the stuff you posted I have never even bothered with.

+1
    Because its hard to get a real world feel from products in a closed testing. A product might work great in a test program without any external variables. Also lets say you only have 20 testers and they never have an issue. Well when you go to 200 users all with different riding styles, setups, water conditions, and levels of maintenance and wrench skills bad things tend to happen, and thats when you see if the manufacture is legit and will stand by their product and make good.

Quote Originally Posted by sfackett0 View Post
    Because its hard to get a real world feel from products in a closed testing. A product might work great in a test program without any external variables. Also lets say you only have 20 testers and they never have an issue. Well when you go to 200 users all with different riding styles, setups, water conditions, and levels of maintenance and wrench skills bad things tend to happen, and thats when you see if the manufacture is legit and will stand by their product and make good.
    Good point....But has any testing been carried out.......I have to admit also that the Issue with Les cooke Reflashes is only something I've heard on the Grape vine,some high HP Turbo skis not runnin to good on those maps...

None of these product I've ever used. Just a few times on this forum you see the "check out this new product" the a few weeks later you get the Fail threads....

Its great that alot of the Makers are standing behind there products. but look beyond a simple failure. If Rivas intake grate snaps and wrecks your Ski. they going to buy you a new one....Disclamers don't meen chit....Yeah your manufacturer can look the other way. But.......I don't want to get into a debate about cheap car parts and that your not covered if you S/C your GM. this is a ski forum

+1
    you have to remember the key word here is "performance"things are tested to a certain level and when you push them as hard as we do things are gonna break.it happens in all forms of racing and performance enhanced sports...it takes individuals like us to break things enough times for the manufacture or somebody else to perfect that part...if you have read and seen performance parts have come a long way on these skis...anytime there is a new part of course everybody wants it because it is new and people want to believe it is the shit..unfortionatly sometimes it isnt and we end up learning from someone elses misfortion..kinda like the RAD 4 seals or the OEM cermic clutch washers...took enough people to have issues to find out they dont like our skis...

The most interesting man in the world. Nils888's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRXP View Post
    I've seen this trend since the early 90's. The only thing thats changed is there are way less players in the aftermarket world now. That's why you get bent over on everything you buy! No manufacturer competition = screwed over customers
    So you are calling people like me bad??? I love the way all the people say they want you to build it as cheap as posible. So when all the manufactures decide to have it made out of the country for less money. And the quality of the part is sub standard. But people buy it anyway and wounder why it is a P.O.S!!!! How dose someone like myself as a supplier of performance parts deal with stuff?? I try my best to deliver quality parts.

Truth is building a fast jetski is expensive. How many other kinds of power sports are as abusive on the parts as the PWC????
    All you can do is try to find out as much information on the parts you are interested in buying if it is good or bad. That is why most of us are on this website.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information