2006 STX-15F High Idle Issue

Hello Everyone,

I did some searching around the site about this and I believe I have it narrowed down.

I took my ski out after just replacing my meter. I noticed that my ski was idling too high at 3k. I took it out of the water and it's having the same issue. I changed the plugs, unhooked the throttle cable and backed off the idle screw and neither of these fixed the problem. After reading a post similar to my issue, I'm guessing its related to the KSS.

-Does anyone have any pictures or a step by step to find this sensor/plug?

-Is this part easy to replace? or I also heard you can run the ski without it. Whats everyones opinion on this?

I'm decent at wrenching but should I bring this to a shop?

Any help is appreciated!

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by EricGP View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I did some searching around the site about this and I believe I have it narrowed down.

I took my ski out after just replacing my meter. I mmnoticed that my ski was idling too high at 3k. I took it out of the water and it's having the same issue. I changed the plugs, unhooked the throttle cable and backed off the idle screw and neither of these fixed the problem. After reading a post similar to my issue, I'm guessing its related to the KSS.

-Does anyone have any pictures or a step by step to find this sensor/plug?

-Is this part easy to replace? or I also heard you can run the ski without it. Whats everyones opinion on this?

I'm decent at wrenching but should I bring this to a shop?

Any help is appreciated!
    Kss is a function not a sensor !!
    It controls the ISC that is a idle speed controller , mounted on the throttle assy on the inlet manifold were you cable goes too.

I bet you that the ISC is faulty and that is what is causing your rpms to stay high !!
    Or you have a vacuum leak somewhere , but I don't believe it would cause 3k idle

In the bottom of the inlet manifold their is a drain Plug. Check to see if it's in!!, my guess is still isc really

Waz

Thanks for the help. From what I can tell, the plug seems in Place.

Next I will try the isc. Is there a way to test this besides just going out and purchasing a new one? I hate to be a pain but I did some searching and I can't seem to find a picture or even a part number. Any chance anyone has a picture or a part number? I don't want to just start pulling random things but i guess that's how I will really learn the ski.

Is it just a coincidence that I just changed the meter on my ski and now the high idle issue?

Did you guys resolve the high idle? My '04 hangs a little above idle when the throttle is cut... otherwise it runs fine. But this high idle is getting annoying (and loud w/ the 2nd waterbox removed). While it idles high, if i fiddle w/ the throttle lever, then it will eventually settle down to a normal idle. My throttle cable itself is fine, and lubed. The TB comes to a full close (to the idle set stop screw).

My guess is maybe the Smart Steer sensor? or maybe the idle stepper...?

Thread Information