Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smoke in engine comp, ski runs horrible

I was riding for a few hours when all of a sudden the ski slowly started bogging down until it died, it starts back up but wont go past 3k rpm and its slow, like 3mph. Opened the engine cover, tons of smoke, smelled like exhaust or burning oil.. checked the oil lines they are good, compression is 105-110-118. Seems to run better out the water. Any suggestions? Two things i noticed that threw me off, one is the outside of the engine is covered with fine flakes of metal.. could this just be a screw got into the drive shaft? Also the little aluminum heat sink on the left side of the electric box was very hot is that normal? Pv's are working. Where should i start now ?

+1
    Ide start by looking for an exhaust leak. if its running bad and engine compartment is full of exhaust its leaking some where. Check all the rubber couplers in the exhaust first-usually if you run it for a second on land without the seat you can see where its coming from. With the engine compartment full of exhaust the motor wont run-barley. It takes oxygen for a motor to run and when you have an exhaust leak it fills the hull with carbon monoxide.

+1
    Do you still the the cat con? Hopefully just a clamp that came loose. Any water in the hull?

My friends ski had that problem ... It turns out his was from a crack in the exhaust .. idk how common that is but anything to help

Thanks for the reply guys, i checked the couplers today, didn't find anything, i ran it in water with seat off and the compartment was no filling with smoke, it still ran bad, but when i put the seat on within minutes it started smoking again. When out of water it will actually hit 6 to 7k rpm, and seems to run better, but in water it just bogs, and dies, starts right up, idles kinda rough then dies again. no water in compartment. Ill remove the cdi box and see if any couplers in the back came loose. Hopefully thats it. I was told the ski has a dplate installed so its prob not that.

Found whats wrong, hose after the waterbox was breaking apart from age.. but this does not look stock, where would i find a replacement?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3217.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	247315Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3219.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	247314

+1
    What ski do you have. I should have a good hose here you can have just pay shipping

+1
    [QUOTE=soulraver;1757099]Found whats wrong, hose after the waterbox was breaking apart from age.. but this does not look stock, where would i find a replacement?

That looks more like a symptom rather than THE problem. That hose is not supposed to melt like that because Yamaha has water injected into the exhaust pipe to keep that very thing from happening.

At the base of your stinger is a flanged piece of pipe that connects to the rubber coupling. It has four small holes in it that allows water from the exhaust water jacket to get into the exhaust pipe (water box). This water is supposed to cool the exhaust gasses in water box. (It also creates back pressure on the exhaust system to make the engine run more efficiently, but that is not part of this discussion). Without this cooling water, you will melt hoses and loose about 100 rpm in the top end.

You should check your stinger to make sure that those holes are not plugged from debris.

If you have the Jet Works mod, then you need to check that it is releasing water into the water box after 3500 rpms..... this is the water that does the cooling.

[QUOTE=salty;1757541]
    Quote Originally Posted by soulraver View Post
    Found whats wrong, hose after the waterbox was breaking apart from age.. but this does not look stock, where would i find a replacement?

That looks more like a symptom rather than THE problem. That hose is not supposed to melt like that because Yamaha has water injected into the exhaust pipe to keep that very thing from happening.

At the base of your stinger is a flanged piece of pipe that connects to the rubber coupling. It has four small holes in it that allows water from the exhaust water jacket to get into the exhaust pipe (water box). This water is supposed to cool the exhaust gasses in water box. (It also creates back pressure on the exhaust system to make the engine run more efficiently, but that is not part of this discussion). Without this cooling water, you will melt hoses and loose about 100 rpm in the top end.

You should check your stinger to make sure that those holes are not plugged from debris.

If you have the Jet Works mod, then you need to check that it is releasing water into the water box after 3500 rpms..... this is the water that does the cooling.
    Yea I think this is the problem i maybe having on mine. I will check cuz when my exhaust melts like that she sinks!

porschemaniac: I have a '00 gp1200r, i would gladly pay for shipping let me know if you have it.

Salty: The hose didn't melt, it was just crumbling from age i am guessing, the rubber is very hard and when i press it down it falls apart.. would this also be a symptom of no cooling or do these hoses fall apart after age?

As i was saying this is no stock, it looks like the sound suppression removal tube was installed, does it reuse old rubber tubes, or do you get new ones when you order?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information