96 zxi 1100 trim tilt questions need help

hey guys new here to the forum and need some help with my pwc eas title said 96 zxi 1100
    the trim and tilt does not work in it i have taken it all apart found it coroded all inside and found i need to replace the motor as i was checking to see if that was the only problem i hooked a volt meter to the wires and pressed up and down the computer clicks but i only get 12 volts from pressing up not down when i press down i get nothing but its still clicks any ideas anything could help

+1
    If there is corrosion, the box itself may be leaking and/or the bellows seal on the trim cable at the back of the 'Ski is damaged or missing.

You might be able to salvage it, if it's not burned up. Take the motor assembly out and touch jumper wires from a 12 volt battery to the blue & green wires. The motor should run in one direction. Swap the wires and the motor should reverse directions. If it works, that's great. If not, it may still be salvageable.

Take the motor off the gearbox, then, carefully disassemble the motor. Be VERY CAREFUL as the motor has TWO sets of brushes. The outer brushes run the motor, the inner brushes count revolutions. It's real easy to mess up the brushes if you just yank the armature out, so use a small screwdriver to hold the brushes out of the way while you take it apart. I found that the magnets on one of my motors had come loose. They were a big part of the problem because they actually kept the armature from turning. I cleaned the motor housing with a glass bead cleaner, then glued the magnets in with epoxy. Clean the commutators with crocus cloth and wipe with solvent. Clean the bearings and put a small dab of grease on them.

I found corrosion inside the gearbox, too. Even though the big gear is plastic, the inside of the cover was corroded and the debris from that jammed the gears. I cleaned the cover with the glass bead cleaner, wiped everything down with solvent, then put waterproof grease in it. I found it easier to put the motor together if I assembled it to the gearbox first. Finally, put the cover back on and try it.

You may have to clean/replace the connectors inside the box. If they can't be salvaged, I've got new bullet connectors with vinyl sleeves I'll sell you.

I am having similar problems with the trim on my 96 900 zxi. It doesn't work. It wasn't working when I got the ski. The ski runs fine, smooth, and fast. It would be nice to get some help getting on plane when going slower through speed zones.

The motor works with a direct connect to the battery. It moves the worm gear and trim cable smoothly up and down. The switch also seems to be working when I put a meter on it and check resistance.

It looks as though the previous owner may have done a little rewiring. I found one wire that is cut (R/W wire) and attached somewhere else (Y wire), and the Y and BK wire does not go to the motor like the wiring diagram shows. I am not sure just how everything is supposed to connect or if it is correct. The diagram I have is not completely clear. Does anyone know how to check to see if the different components are functioning properly.

If the wiring is ok, I am thinking the control box might be bad. Seems to be a common problem. Is there any special way to test it with a meter or something? Any other ideas are appreciated.

its cool now i fixed it took the motor completly apart and repaired it all and mustang fury i did a volt meter test on the wires goin to the motor it ran 12 v up but none down i bought a used unit today and hooked it up and it ran 12v up and down only cost 125 from local shop so easy fix just pain trying to remove the motor and the red wire should go to the trim button on the handle bar i took my ski completely apart with the wires last night and put everything back today to figure this stuff out

+1
    I'm confused, did you fix it or replace it?

fixed the motor replaced the modual use a voly meter to check if ur modual is working put it hwere the motor plugs into it and press up and down for ur tilt it should read 12v and -12v if it doesnt modual is fried

Doesn't the engine have to be running for the module to work?

+1
    Yes, there is a 'run relay' that enables power to the unit after the engine starts.

for mine i dont have to have the engine running or the dead man switch on just the power switch to on position and i can move my trim an tilt up and down

Thread Information