Ultra 250 has a miss past 5250rpm

Hi all l took my ski out and it keeps breaking down at 5250 it still pulls but misses and pops out of ext. I went through a tank in an 1hr l couldn't go wot, l check boost all good put new plugs ran great 4 5mins then back to missing past 5250 pulled plugs out they were black look really rich there is no rust or wash marks on plugs so l dont think it has a cracked head ski hasn't ran the best since l found the ic had a leak ski use to rev to 7950 hasn't rev there since the leak lucky to get past 7680

+1
    sounds like its not getting enough air to me go back and check everything from the trumpet to the throttle body. popping is also timing related

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dobbo View Post
    Hi all l took my ski out and it keeps breaking down at 5250 it still pulls but misses and pops out of ext. I went through a tank in an 1hr l couldn't go wot, l check boost all good put new plugs ran great 4 5mins then back to missing past 5250 pulled plugs out they were black look really rich there is no rust or wash marks on plugs so l dont think it has a cracked head ski hasn't ran the best since l found the ic had a leak ski use to rev to 7950 hasn't rev there since the leak lucky to get past 7680
    Did u change the plugs or did u just look at them ?
    Yes check the inlet trumpet!!!
    Check all your clamps.

Then report back

Waz

Hi all l put a set of kawi plasma plugs that l had sitting around they lasted 5mins then it started playing up again l usually use ngk cr9ek didnt have any l checked all clamps and the trumpet looks good. Any other idears the ski runs great till l go over 5000rpms lam think l got crap fuel l just filled it up with 98 v power to what do yours think....

+1
    ever since you have had the ski you have had low rpm issues, you have played with the prop, i/c, bov, manifold gaskets, sensors, fuel blends, timing, i think you need to start all over and rule each item you have played with out once and for all that will then give you a starting point. and maybe in doing so you may come across your problem,
    does it hold consistant boost? have you been blending more fuels? you say its running rich so sounds like its getting enough fuel, maybe you need to check the s/c and i/c again.
    or if the problem is really that pronounced take it to a shop where they will now be able to rectify.
    or take it to waz im sure he would appreciate the cash to fund his next trip

Question

Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    ever since you have had the ski you have had low rpm issues, you have played with the prop, i/c, bov, manifold gaskets, sensors, fuel blends, timing, i think you need to start all over and rule each item you have played with out once and for all that will then give you a starting point. and maybe in doing so you may come across your problem,
    does it hold consistant boost? have you been blending more fuels? you say its running rich so sounds like
    its getting enough fuel, maybe you need to check the s/c and i/c aga

Hi nicjak l haven't been blending fuels 4 sometime now n yes lv been chasing the rpm issue 4 awhile now l ve been told buy so many people it could be this could be that.had it with dealers say its been fixed and still there some won't touch it cause its an grey import l know it's not prop could it be ic cause it got a lot of corrosion on
    cooling fins from a leak I didn't now about l fix it what waz said to do what do u think
    or could it been a bad batch of fuel from servo l going to drain tank n start there...

or if the problem is really that pronounced take it to a shop where they will now be able to rectify.
    or take it to waz im sure he would appreciate the cash to fund his next trip

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dobbo View Post
    if your ic is that bad and you are leaking water into the fuel/intake stream then at med to high rpm (high pump pressure) enough water is getting in this could cause a miss, what do your plugs look like, can you get the ic pressure tested.

+1
    Bring it in to the guru race engine shop we will back next week.

Thread Information