94 XP and 96 GSX problems

I guess we can start with the 94 XP with the 657x which could be an easy easy fix but has me puzzled. For starters it cranks right up, and runs awesome. But it seems to overheat when on the water and the buzzer will go off and wont start back up. It has me confused because it runs great on the hose no overheating or nothing. I feel like it is because on the hose when flushing it, the water is being directly injected to the cylinder heads rather than cycling through the exhaust before it reaches the cylinder heads. I'm not sure if the jet pump is sucking in a good amount of water to cool the motor or what?!?

Now on to the 96 GSX 787. I see a lot of people have this problem but basically when it's fresh on the water it will run it full rpms ( or close to it ) at a little over 6k but after a few minutes or so it will drop down to 4500 rpms and just stay there, this becomes my new WOT. There has been some work done to this ski and it has a waterbox with no water reg. I have noticed that the exhaust pipes inner lining has collapsed and it very squishy ( in the process of replacing ) I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, maybe not receiving the proper back pressure or what!? Other than that the ski runs great.

As for the 787 I have done everything in the fuel system that is recommended. Changed or cleaned them all.

Fuel lines replaced
    Fuel filter cleaned
    Fuel selector replaced
    Carb filters are clean and rebuilt
    Carbs set to factory specs

Any ideas on either problem will be awesome, have no idea anymore on either one of these and would just like to ride for more than 30 minutes before the season is over!

Trying to get this going soon! Anybody have any ideas?

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    i dont know bout the gsx because of the mods but pull the plugs and check the color-should be chocolate brown with oily threads,NO white or grey anywhere on the plugs.if so ,dont be afraid to open the high jets a turn,turn and a half jus to see where your at.The xp, your right bout the HOSE thing,need to check the cooling hoses routing.also a worn,gaulded up wear-ring will do that too as the the pump is the source of the water pressure.Oh,.. is the xp pissing water out of the back when your on the lake? it should do this just off idle. goodluck

So the high jets at all the way in is one a bone stock motor? So if I back it out a little with the mods it would be compensating for the mods so to say? I will try that and see if I pop above 4500.

The 657x have me extremely confused as to why they would run the water inlet straight to the exhaust and not the head like every other motor I have dealt with!? The wear ring is brand new so I know it's not that and yes it does piss on the hose now that I flushed the cooling system!

where are the high jets located? my wifes gsx is the same way! thanks

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    But does it Piss on the lake? With todays Ethanol fuels it takes more to run now from when it was manufactured thats why think you should try that.But read your plugs and that will say everything.

Quote Originally Posted by sea-one View Post
    But does it Piss on the lake? With todays Ethanol fuels it takes more to run now from when it was manufactured thats why think you should try that.But read your plugs and that will say everything.
    Haven't been back To the lake after I flushed the system! So I might of fixed my own problem but haven't found it out yet! ! I'll try the jets as well this weekend once I'm out!

GSX will run fine for the first couple minutes 6500+ then it starts to act up. Could be running WOT 6500 then it would just drop itself to 4500 feels like I hit a rock

Thread Information