Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Solas nose cone problems Please Read!

Ok i have a 2008 Seadoo RXTX. 60 hours. This time last week we put on a stage 1 setup, plus a charger, injectors, rrfpr, etc. Take it out and its running great. Then out of no where it starts to cavitate like i sucked something up. Bring it to shore, put it on its side and check intake area...Nothing. Take it back out and its fine. Go back to beach and pop the seat off to let the engine bay vent. About an hour later i go out and see the hull has water in it...not flooding but more than usual. Take the ski back out and now its cavitating VERY badly and shaking. i pop the rear seat and put my hand under the bellow/carbon seal area and feel water comming in. I tow it the 1/4 mile to the launch. Bring it home and put in a brand new carbon seal, and bellow. the bellow that came out looked to have lost tension ( slightly shorter than the new one). Put it all back together and runs great all day.

Now to this weekend. This past Sat i get the ski in the water, go about 1/4 to the beach we hang out at and it starts to cavitate and shake AGAIN!!!! Bring it to shore and sure as shit there is a leak between the carbon seal. WTF!!! This time im CONVINCED the Solas green nose cone is the problem, pulled the pump off at the beach removed the nose cone and was problem free for 2 full days now. I have seen crankshafts come out of motors that had the green nose cone and one side of the thrust on the crank is eaten up. I have read plenty of threads on how the nose cone locks in air and actually pushes the driveshaft forward into the PTO. So this makes perfect sense as to why the thrust on some of these cranks are shot. Not sure if anyone has ever had a problem like this, if so post up!

+1
    I had the same problem, water is forced into the nose cone and pushes the drive shaft foward. This lifts the wear plate off the carbon seal and causes the problems you describe.

I do not run a nosecone any more, some say this will pick up .5 MPH.

You can also drill a small hole in the nose cone to relieve the pressure.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama View Post
    I had the same problem, water is forced into the nose cone and pushes the drive shaft foward. This lifts the wear plate off the carbon seal and causes the problems you describe.

I do not run a nosecone any more, some say this will pick up .5 MPH.

You can also drill a small hole in the nose cone to relieve the pressure.
    +1. I stopped running my nose cone after the same prolems. Since I removed it I'm problem free.

+1
    I was goig to just remove the oring out of the nose cone. since i removed the cone my ski seems to come out of the hole a little harder? maybe its just in my head.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow 91 View Post
    I was goig to just remove the oring out of the nose cone. since i removed the cone my ski seems to come out of the hole a little harder? maybe its just in my head.
    speedfreeks cone.. rubed a lil rightstuff on threads .. been on there for 10 hrs 78+speeds. or notch the threads or both .

+1
    I just installed my Solas impeller but used the o-ring that was in the green Solas cone, and installed it in the speedfreeks nose cone to be installed with the prop.....SHOULD I BE WORRIED or you guys think I'll be good? I know the speedfreeks cone didn't come with the o-ring so I'm a little nervous. I don't have a bilge system either which doesn't help!
    Thanks for your opinions as well!

+1
    I'd run the nose cone without the oring

+1
    Dang, I guess this means Jeremy can do me another flavor! (please sir).

+1
    Man this thread is scarring the $hit out of me...I'm running the SOLAS cone. I had the speedfreeks but it's wasn't long enough so I sold it

+1
    Long enough?? There is no special required length. If i didn't have a speedfreeks I wouldn't run any, those solas corrode easy, break apart, come un screwed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information