Buying a Sea Doo GTX -97 that is difficult to start. Avoid expensive fix..

Hello !
    First time posting in the Sea Doo forum so please bear with me.
    I am looking at buying my first PWC, the idea is to buy something that needs a "little" work and that I can get relativly cheap. "Litte" work for means swapping fuel lines, cleaning carbs, changing sparkplugs , etc. I dont mean rebuilding the whole engine, piston swap or simlar.

I have now found a 97 Sea Doo GTX that according to the current owner has been sitting for the last 4 years. The problem is that its hard to start (when he uses "starter fluid in can" (dont know if this is the correct english word) it starts from time to time) But it was a few years since he tried it...
    Hopefully we are talking about fuel lines, cleaning carbs here, but you never know.

I will test the enging for compression, looking at the plugs, pistons but my worries are the MPEM, can one check the MPEM without starting the engine ?
    (MPEMS are quite costly afaik).

Any other ideas on what to check if I cant start the PWC ?

+1
    Definitely check compression. If you get the two beeps when pluging in the lanyard and the display functions correctly then that is a good sign. The starter fluid isn't. That means either low compression or no fuel. The whole fuel system will probably need to be gone thru. Not that difficult if you wrench a little and follow advice on this forum. The guys on the forum are awesome. I have a 97 gtx and have replaced all fuel lines , repaired the fuel gauge and clean the carbs with the forum advice. I think you can remove the rave valves to get a look at the cylinders for scuffing, etc. if compression is low but it could be something else, bad reeds, etc. I'm not an expert like some of these forum guys . Listen to them and you will learn.

97 GTX does not have reeds. They use a rotary valve system. Has the motor been sitting for the last 4 years properly stored? Was fuel left in tank and carbs? Is there water in the crank? If it is all fuel related, easy fix. Electrical, little more difficult. Top end, more and lower end the most difficult. I would do a compression check, take the raves off to see sides of piston and take the head off to see top of piston and cyclinder walls.

Thanks guys, great info and thanks for sharing.
    I have read up on the RAVE system - doesnt seem to complicated to service.
    I am afraid that it has not been properly stored, but I am not sure.
    A fuel system overhaul is needed for sure as well as carbs I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by Seapoo View Post
    Electrical, little more difficult. Top end, more and lower end the most difficult. I would do a compression check, take the raves off to see sides of piston and take the head off to see top of piston and cyclinder walls.
    I dont quite get this, what do you mean by the "more" part in "Top end, more and lower end the most difficult". Beeing Swedish I do my best to get all proper words but I struggle on that.

How can one check for water in the crank ?

Electrical - seems like the stator is a common problem. MPEMS: Seems like they go from ~ 250 => 400 for a unit, which one is used in the 97 GTX, cheap or expensive one ?
    Any hints on what to check electrical wise on a non starting skii without pulling it all apart ?
    What to expect more than the two beeps and verifying the display ?
    When reading about MPEM problems, seems like the VTS operate even though the skii is not turned on - is this correct ? How should it operate ?

Thanks again for a great site and for helping out.

+1
    MY bad on the reeds, I knew that. If you mean VTS as in trim, this model(GTX) doesn't have it. The display should operate without the ski running for a short time.

Didnt know about the VTS - thanks for that.
    Still curious how you can check for water in the crank though.

+1
    I don't know how to check except to disassemble. If it was dry when stored and stayed that way it should be ok. Bearings rust if exposed to water for any length of time. I would think if there was water in the crank case then the crank would be seized in the block. If you broke loose a stuck crank I would think it would be just a short period of time before major issue came up.
    Check for spark with a plug against the block while cranking. Open up the electrical box and see what it looks like. It may have had water in all this time. That would be a bad sign. Here is a great link to shop/parts/service manuals with lots of diagrams. http://seadoomanuals.net/manuals/1997-seadoo.php
    Good luck, my 97' GTX has been a great machine but not as fast as my 98'(there's no substitution for more engine displacement)

Thanx again Dixieboy.
    Now I feel confident to go and have a look, I have posted the seller a few questions. Mainly to check if I knows how to store and take care of the ski...

+1
    Let us know what you find and decide.

Thread Information