a little good news!

another Polaris SLT-700 is on the water again! Quick recap is we bought it as a non-running ski in the spring and after a couple months of testing and breaking and more testing and breaking I think I got it!

We've been through cleaning a ton of garbage oil out of the engine, overheating issues, flywheel key shearing, and mag piston meltdown. With a ton of help from this site, a new ignition upgrade kit and a new bore and piston up front she's a runner.

Only immediate issues to tackle are the bilge pump (not sure its working - how can you tell - it should run all the time right?? regardless of water), and the gas gauge is stuck on empty (fuel sending unit appears to be new). Also, I want to swap to pre-mix w/ synthetic oil.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by raptorobbie View Post
    another Polaris SLT-700 is on the water again! Quick recap is we bought it as a non-running ski in the spring and after a couple months of testing and breaking and more testing and breaking I think I got it!

We've been through cleaning a ton of garbage oil out of the engine, overheating issues, flywheel key shearing, and mag piston meltdown. With a ton of help from this site, a new ignition upgrade kit and a new bore and piston up front she's a runner.

Only immediate issues to tackle are the bilge pump (not sure its working - how can you tell - it should run all the time right?? regardless of water), and the gas gauge is stuck on empty (fuel sending unit appears to be new). Also, I want to swap to pre-mix w/ synthetic oil.

The bilge pump should "whine" when the engine is running. Yes it runs all the time.. Or you can tip the ski up on the trailer and fill thje back kalf up to the point the pump should eject it to test.

Most likely the fuel float is gas logged (sinks) and is ready low regardless. Get a new float for around $35 from Sharp's Marine or John Zigler I think has them too.

thanks xlint89 - I'm in cleveland area too - I saw a gorgeous slt-700 up at the rocky river launch on saturday night, that wasn't you was it??

Bilge doesn't make a sound, i'll have to test it for power first and get a new one if needed.

Also, where is the float? I've had the tank out of the ski several times and never seen a float - I thought the level was sensed electronically by the cylinder that bolts into the tank (fuel pump?).

thanks!

+1
    Might as well open the elect box.
    Measure the sender ohm's (yes that cylinder bolted to the tank is the fuel sender and fuel pick-up) 33 ohm full,240 empty 9(pink and black wires ). The float is in the cylinder,if it's gas logged it will read empty.

The orange with black stripe wire powers the bilge pump. Touch that wire to red/pur you should feel/hear the bilge run.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by raptorobbie View Post
    thanks xlint89 - I'm in cleveland area too - I saw a gorgeous slt-700 up at the rocky river launch on saturday night, that wasn't you was it??

Bilge doesn't make a sound, i'll have to test it for power first and get a new one if needed.

Also, where is the float? I've had the tank out of the ski several times and never seen a float - I thought the level was sensed electronically by the cylinder that bolts into the tank (fuel pump?).

thanks!
    Nope, not me....

I'm usually up in the Mentor/Fairport Harbor area riding around.

The float is inside the aluminum tube inside the fuel tank.

Casey gave you good directions for testing the 2 parts out.

Thread Information