Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New guy with some questions!

New guy here, I recently got a 1995 Polaris SL650 from my dad, he bought new off the showroom in 96 and he has passed it down to me since he has a gotten a newer GTI, and now is looking to get a boat.
    I have to say this is one amazing ski, in the 15 years he has owned it, it has been awesome with just regular basic maintence, other then developing a low draw on the battery but its not too big of an issue, and at the end of last summer the stator wiring harness burnt up, from forgetting to put on the battery cover...
    I currently have the front half of the motor torn apart, and am building a new harness from the electric box back...
    Now this is going to be an extremly tight budget project/build being a college student and having 2 built Jeeps and a 1970 C10 project truck already and will hopefully be gaining a lot of knowledge as it goes. I am use to working on cars/Jeeps so this is a little different for me..
    While I have the motor slightly torn apart (exhaust, intake, flywheel etc.) and gas tank out is there anything I should be replacing or checking over?
    obvious things I am thinking are fuel filter/s? gas/oil lines?
    I would like to add some performance mods if any cheap ones exist (I know its the 650 and if I want fast I should consider a 750 780 or 1050, but hey I got this for free want to keep it)
    Also the gas guage does not work, and hasn't for years, and was wondering while I have the tank out, is if there is an easy way to check whats causing the problem?

I have plenty of more questions coming up, but this is a good start and hopefully I will be learning as I go
    Thanks!

Ill save K447 a post lol

http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/

That is a great link and you should read all of it.

Thanks for the link!
    Although I didn't see anything about the fuel guage problem, but am learning little bits of information as im reading through it.
    I hope to have the wiring done tomorrow and then I wil start puttin everything back together.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1

I just did the wire, only had to do the ground "BLACK"Cut away the hose stuff loom was in. no other damage to other wires. From loop stacon in black box I soldered after crimping. Into stator. Chipped away resin that fed into stator and soldered there . Painted some epoxy as it was hardening up where resin was. Watch right under the wire at stator "outward side" there is one winding wire that crosses under it. I Used car type split wire loom stuff and some tape here and there to re-wrap loom. I used silicone #12 amw wire Had to carefully drill out rubber grommet into box. It pulled into the stator grommet fine. Watch pinching the wires rebuilding case///me . oops/////. Tested stator ohms as directed al was good. Pump should be here tomorrow.
    All the gray hose was gone on my ride very good and autocock. I got ready to do the new 2 outlet . " most do 3"35LPH fuel pump , Im going 2 outlet Iput Tees in between each carb . Didn't have to remove them,

Check condition of others wires one is way better. Do the fuel system up grades. Check stator. I only had ride a week,, i have been reading and fixing.

Harness is all done and in, front end of motor has been put back together, just waiting on some gaskets to get here (hopefully tomorrow) to get the manifold and exhaust back in.

Anyone have any ideas as to why the gas guage wouldn't work? I haven't looked to much into it, but figured with the tank out and lots of room to mess around with it. Common wiring issue, or the guage itself being bad?

Also anyone have any success with painting the vinyl seat? If so could you post up some pics on how it turned out? I was thinking of getting rid of the faded purple seat and trim, just not sure what color/s would match well with the white and red of the rest of the machine..

On mine there’s two wires going to the sender, one of mine just broke off, so I’d start by taking the level sender out and making sure both wires are still attached. You can order marine vinyl and just re-cover the seat; all you need is a staple gun.

Thanks!
    I got the gaskets yesterday and exhaust put back, I checked the wiring on the sender and they still look good, but noticed one wire from guage to the electric box wasn't connected, not sure if its been like this or I may have acidentally pulled it out while doing the new harness connections..
    But I just need to get the tank back in, and she should be ready for the water!
    I think I am going to try to paint the seat, and if it doesn't work then I could always recover it.

Anyone have any experience with painting their seat? I know duplicolor makes a vynil spray, but wondered how it would hold up.. Also I found online a company called SEM that makes a marine grade vnyil paint?
    Also I was thinking of painting the purple trim, would just krylon fusions work for this?
    Anyone have any pics of their painted skis?!

I know your asking for help here but I got something to ask you to do. Post a picture of the battery cover? Please? I can't seem Find one..

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    I know your asking for help here but I got something to ask you to do. Post a picture of the battery cover? Please? I can't seem Find one..
    Yeah here are a few pics of it:

(dont mind the dirty ski, it doesn't have a cover and spent the last month outside before I made room in the garage to get the work done....)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information