Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1

    Unhappy MSX 110 Milky Oil? Please help I am not familiar with these ski's yet! Thanks

    Hey whats up everyone? Just picked up an 04 Polaris MSX 110 with 40 hours on it. It starts and seems to run fine but I really do not want to run the ski until everything is addressed.

    The oil does not look right, pics are posted below...Please any advice and how to troubleshoot this issue?

    Any help asap would be greatly appreciated as I plan on getting this ready for the water this weekend. Thanks a lot!

    P.S. That is not an oil leak. I just dripped a little on the black surface so you can really get a good look at the color.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20110725_150012.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	247259Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20110725_145951.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	247258Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20110725_145959.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	247260


  2. #2
    Anyone?

  3. #3
    slothman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    731
    +1
    30
    either a bad oil tank or water is getting into the system through the closed cooling system (ie leaking water pump, head gasket, or turbo housing). Pressure test the cooling system by pressurizing the coolant tank (remove small hose on top of cooling tank and plug/block it, then pressurize that same side with a pressure pump.)

    A compression test would also be a good idea.

  4. #4
    I just pulled out the oil reservoir and it sounds like something is loose flopping around in there. Doesn't sound to right to me but is there any way to test this unit once its out? I am not sure if its supposed to feel like one solid piece or something is supposed to be loose in there? Thanks

  5. #5
    slothman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    731
    +1
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by cjelley View Post
    I just pulled out the oil reservoir and it sounds like something is loose flopping around in there. Doesn't sound to right to me but is there any way to test this unit once its out? I am not sure if its supposed to feel like one solid piece or something is supposed to be loose in there? Thanks
    there is a baffle inside the tank. 99% of the time they become loose and cause oil to seep into the intake tract. There are o-rings inside the tank that seperate the oil and water portions of the tank. if those o-rings go bad, water and oil can mix. It is best to pressure test the tank to see if it is leaking. There is an updated tank available for $450

    search for "oil tank repair" you will read plenty of info

  6. #6
    I took the tank out shook it around a little. What ever is flopping around in there blocked the dipstick from being fully screwed in. I'm assuming something is really messed up in there should I order the update kit now or wait until its pressure tested? I can not see this being normal.

  7. #7
    slothman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    731
    +1
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by cjelley View Post
    I took the tank out shook it around a little. What ever is flopping around in there blocked the dipstick from being fully screwed in. I'm assuming something is really messed up in there should I order the update kit now or wait until its pressure tested? I can not see this being normal.
    no it is not normal. The baffle inside came out of the grooves. It was a design flaw. The milky oil MIGHT be due to a bad tank, but I think you should pressure test the coolant tank anyway. Also, have a compression test done.

  8. #8
    luckily I found someone local parting out an msx 110. Im going to go grab his oil tank or I might just take the whole ski. Im going to replace my oil tank. Run a compression/leak down test and then pressure test the coolant system. I will post up the results. If the tank is the issue I am going to go ahead and order the update kit as the design looks much more practical. Thanks for the help.

    After I fix the whole system, how do I go about making sure all the oil/water mixture is flushed completely out of the engine?

  9. #9
    slothman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    731
    +1
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by cjelley View Post
    luckily I found someone local parting out an msx 110. Im going to go grab his oil tank or I might just take the whole ski. Im going to replace my oil tank. Run a compression/leak down test and then pressure test the coolant system. I will post up the results. If the tank is the issue I am going to go ahead and order the update kit as the design looks much more practical. Thanks for the help.

    After I fix the whole system, how do I go about making sure all the oil/water mixture is flushed completely out of the engine?
    you will have to change the oil, run it on the water, and do that 3 times (you can use conventional 20w-50). Then on the fourth change put in the good mobil 1 15w-50 synthetic.

  10. #10
    How long do I run it on the water for before doing the next 3 oil changes? And do you mean it has to be in the water or can I run it hooked up to the hose?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. MSX 110 RPMs Limited. Please Help!!!
    By TimBUCII in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-26-2015, 10:56 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-05-2013, 07:32 PM
  3. MSX 110 Stalling issue PLEASE HELP!
    By Motor1 in forum MSX/Matrix
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-11-2012, 01:05 AM
  4. Please help I am going to go nuts
    By race24x in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-15-2008, 02:15 PM
  5. MSX 110, 150 oil on eBay....
    By Rocky_Road in forum MSX/Matrix
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-02-2007, 10:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •