Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Honda "FI" issue

I have a 06 F12X, simular issue to another one of these posts, the light comes on about 20-30 minutes into the ride and slows the engine way down on RPM's... With that being said, I did find the Honda diagnostic paper on another post and when im following what it says (counting the beeps/light blinks) i got up to around 200 straight beeps/light blinks. so based off of that information, the paper is usless. FYI, there is NO mods or any kind of aftermarket parts. It is in a saltwater enviroment, but is flushed after EVERY ride.

Any help would be great, as I enjoy avoiding dealers at all costs.
    Last edited by Jetskijoe5994; 07-25-2011 at 02:42 PM. Reason: spelling

+1
    Hey Joe, It's very hard to diagnose this without the ski right in front of you or being able to test it. That's a fault the Honda's have, whenever there's a problem the "F1" shows up but no other codes so it can mean a number of problems.

Does the ski run strong any other side effects aside from throwing the F1 code?
    Does it do it when you run it really hard or when you ride normal?
    When did it start doing this?

as far as i can tell, there is also a intermitten power issue, example: sometimes it go's flat out about 60-62mph, then most of the time its only doing 50-55mph. Another weird issue is the oil is higher then before (possible injector issue contaminating the oil i thought... but like i said there is no real code based on the info on the PDF. To answer your questions, the ride style doesnt seem to make a difference and it happens only in the water and about 20-30 mins of ride time. I cant replicate this light though on the flush if that makes a difference.

FYI i have worked in Yamaha and Honda motorcycle shops for 35+ years, and currently own my own mechanic shop in Galveston since 1996. These Honda watercraft are rather new and i havent had any real problems with them yet, so this is a HUGE learning exp.

+1
    How does your wastegate look? It might be getting stuck and causing you to overboost which will definitely cause your ECU to throw an FI code. Just a suggestion for something to look at for now. I'll try to think of more and let you know.

There is some minor rust on the lower half of the engine, i will take a closer look and see what that does. Should it just be removed and cleaned if thats the case? I do thank you for your help.

One more question too, any idea where i can find a updated Yamaha flat rate manual? lol I've been looking for one of those online for a while. lol Thanks again.

+1
    It all depends if it's just a little rust or if it's completely shot. Check it out and go from there.

No idea about the Yamaha Manual man.

Another question for you. When was the last time you changed your Spark Plugs?

I do believe they are stock from facory, or maybe changed only once... there is also roughly 70-75 hours on the ski total. I thought of that but i have not heard or felt any type of missing anytime.

I'll have a look at the wastegate though.

Also, could you give me a quick walkthrough on the wastegate removal? like i said im not too knowlageable on turbo's as this is the first watercraft to have one. I like the old 89-95 Yamaha's with no electronics...lol

+1
    Joe, give Ramon a call and he can give you a real good rundown of how to remove it. 954-871-8761.

Sorry for not replying sooner, it was taken to Honda of Houston to run it on their diag. system... and sure enough, they told me it need $5,000-$6,000 of work done with the turbo. I would assume at that price it would be replacing everything, but i wasn't the actual person to drop it off, pick it up, or talk with any of their techs. If this sounds crazy, and it could be fixed easier and/or cheeper... let me know please, cause this guy wants to sell it now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information