Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1996 SLT780 - Not starting, has spark and fuel...? Stored 6 years

Hi All,

I know this kind of issue has been covered a million times over...I am just at a loss. I have searched through the internet and not just greenhulk to find a solution, trying everything I have found.

My ski was in storage for 6 years...at that time it was full of gas, topped up with Stabil and over the first couple years was started a few times to make sure it was still fine. The last few years I wasnt able to get out to turn it over. This year I am trying to sell it as its in amazing shape and has very low hours.

Recent work: new plugs, new gas, new battery

There is spark, and the battery has a lot of juice and the plugs are wet with fuel from trying to turn over. So I know its getting fuel and when I pull the plugs all of them get spark. It seems kinda inconsistent but it is sparking.

I found a list of electrical points to check and have recorded the readings. First though it will fire and occasionally turn over but only for a couple seconds and then it stops. Im completely lost as to what to try next.

One thing I will admit is my hatred and lack of knowledge in the electrical department so I may be overlooking something there. All the stuff below I pulled from a post in this forum:

Stator (neg batt to spark plug end) 7.6 8.5 8.7 K-ohms

Red/Purple to Yellow 7.9 M-ohms
    Red/Purple to Black 7.7 M-ohms
    Yellow to Black 240 K-Ohms
    White/Yellow to Black 203.5 Ohms
    Blue/Red to Red/White 83 Ohms
    Red/White to Black 2.366 M-Ohms
    Red/White to Green/Red 445 Ohms

The stop switch connections (Black/Yellow) seemed to be fine - I unplugged and checked spark/continuity.

Ignition Coils

Black to Black/White 0.5 Ohms
    All 3 were about 2.0 ohms

Like I said, hate electrical and do not understand it at all...and this is not making it any better. I can take a video and post if that helps, as well as maybe take some pics.

All the wiring in the electrical box is immaculate, the fuses have been replaced and everything seems to be fine. Will appreciate any help that you can give me as I would like to get this thing running and get it sold. Thanks!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Did you use NGK BPR8ES spark plugs gapped at 28 thousandths?

Lanyard installed?

Try clipping the plug wires back about 1/4"?

Clean ground wire connections?

Did you ever spray the engine down with WD 40 or something like that? (maybe shorting out)

Thanks xlint! Appreciate the help...have been lurking on here reading for the last month trying to figure this out.
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Did you use NGK BPR8ES spark plugs gapped at 28 thousandths? YES

Lanyard installed? YES

Try clipping the plug wires back about 1/4"? No

Clean ground wire connections? YES

Did you ever spray the engine down with WD 40 or something like that? (maybe shorting out) No
    So you touched on the only thing I wasn't sure about how to do...do i snip off the little zip tie and then pull the boot off? I know the gas was bad, and manged to drain most of it and refill.

Also if anyone knows of a shop or mechanic in Calgary that still works on these it would be greatly appreciated in trying to resolve this issue

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Clip the zip tie.

Unscrew the plug boot

Cut about 1/4" off the plug wire to expose clean wire.

Then rescrew the plug boot back on and zip tie.

Maybe install a spark tester in-line while you try to start it. Just to make sure it IS sparking.

Perfect, that's what I was looking to know...I am going to try the plug boot this weekend and will also go try to find an in-line tester.

Will post up my results!

If you had gas sitting but you said you cleared out all of the gas. Then the gas filter is SURELY bad for one. Check for gas lines corroding, leaking, or fallen off. If you see corroded lines you DON'T have to go buy new lines. Just clip the ends if that's were it is corroded.

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    the gas filter is SURELY bad for one.
    Hi Carson, thanks for the info there, should have mentioned this before I guess...I did pull the filter and it was surprisingly clean, odd I know. You could tell there was water in the gas as it had completely separated but all in all the filter was fine and the fuel lines look brand new as they were replaced before storage with the better quality black lines (everywhere).

Do a compression check to see if you have compression in each cylinder. The rings might be rusted in the pistons and are not helping in developing compression in the cylinder. Squirt a little oil down the bore and see if that help with the compression.

Hey 'UAN' gave it s compression test and everything checked out...seems like its getting a lot of oil, maybe too much. Also tested the fuel pump and there is a lot of fuel getting to the carbs.

Picking up an inline spark tester to see as im starting to think with all the oil on the plugs that it may be fouling them.

Tried the plug boot trick, but was a little hesitant about pulling and twisting on the wires as it doesn't seem to unscrew very well. So I didn't do that. Am I supposed to twist the red rubber boot off the wire? Stupid question I know, but just does not seem right for some reason when I tried.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information