Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1995 wr500g

1995 wr500g

I bought what I was told was a 1995 waverunner 500. The model number in the engine compartment is wr500g. The HID indicates its really an 88. Looks like the registration I have for it is wrong.......

What should be a good baseline setting for the 2 mixture screws? I see there is one on the front and one lower on the back side. It starts a bit hard on choke, have to crack the throttle or it will flood. Once it starts it runs well, but it doenst idle sometimes, and it doesnt seems to rev up quickly when you hit the throttle.

if its a 88 it will have originally the round body bn Mikuni.. needle settings are the same as the square body SBN ..
    LOW speed needle 9/16 to 1-1/16
    HIGH speed needle 5/8 to 1-1/8

needle placement is the same for the BN and the SBN..

LOW is same side as throttle cable side..
    HIGH the other side, away from the cable..

Yep it has the round side carb.

I dont think I'll be happy with the thing as stock, there doesnt seem to be much of a hole shot, the thing hardly jumps when you rev it (may be a carb issue?). I'm not looking to have the thing keep up with newer skis, but I would like to add some performance to this so it doesnt bog itself down in hard turns, or while trying to spin it out. What performace goodies are there out there for these things? I dont imagine there is quite as much stuff as newer skis, but there has to be something? Or can anyone suggest some mods that will help with the fun factor?

Thanks

do a search on wr500 in old school...most of the hop up parts can only be found on ebay only...
    plates, grates, impellers are basic pump mods done any ski...
    mill the head ....030 will boost your compression
    boysen reeds are found on ebay..
    get the flywheel cut for quicker responce..
    a latter wr sbn carb and an Flame arrester will help
    a pipe can be found every so often on ebay along with waterbox replacements..
    a cdi with rev mod can still be bought from protec..

most will say why bother and its true that you moneys are better spent modding a newer ski...I like the wr when i just want to play 'in' the water and not worry that it may be damaged via bumps and bruses while tied against docks and other boats..get it to run right, its bulletproof fun

The top end was done 2 seasons ago. Its got 145psi even on both cylinders so I have a good base to start with. I'd love to get a carb and pipe at least. I'll start watching ebay.

What carb should I be looking for? Would a single 650 carb or something work?

as your not running a pipe or high compressin needing more fuel ..and prob wont change the manifold (650 flange is bigger), try to find a latter SBN off a later 500..(much better fuel delivery over the BN..)
    do an image search on yahoo they are there under MIKUNI SBN...
    I'd have the head milled .030 thou... ( iF not done already,there will be a .040+ step in the chamber where the flat surface meets the dome).. youll need hotter fuel..
    index your plugs for an extra 50 rpm.. (better flame path)
    check your impeller to see how much gap it has...(.006)
    if its not stainless ,(88,89 had aluminum stock) get a solas and shim it closer yet, like.004 or less as there is less flex on a stainless to contact the wear ring ..(more thrust)
    shim your stock plate down in back 3/8 inch...(porpousing issue at speed,to drive the nose down)
    find an aftermarket 2 bar grate or cut out the center bar on the stock unit ( more water entering the pump)..
    do these and you'll like how the ski livens up..

Well I thought I fixed part of the problem by buying myself a 1990 wr650. I was supposed to go after work and pick it up but the guy just called and said he changed his mind and the price we agreed on was to low so hes just going to keep it now.. What an ass.

I'm looking at getting some power reeds and a later model carb to start. I'll have to get the various intake gaskets and stuff I need to do the swap with as well. Will this carb work?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mikun...rcraftQ5fParts

I'm going to go through all the gas lines and replace them all along with the filter. How long of a piece of gas line does it take to re-plumb the whole ski?

no, that is for a twin with dual carbs...that one uses additional linkage to tie it to a carb that has the required cable cam and stops... linkage wise you need the same set up as the BN you have, but on that SBN square body
    as a wild guess, doing all fuel lines main, feed , reserve and in tank stubs..12 ft (should leave you with extra to be safe)

Hows this carb?

thats an sbn for a 650 or larger (44mm venturi)...this one pictures has the right throttle and choke plate set up .. the 500 uses a 3 screw F/A mounting ..This would work for a motor thats built,Using a modifyed manifold, but am thinking you really would want to stay with the stock 38..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information