Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

inconsistent redline

so maybe someone could give me some new ideas as to whats happening with my ski...its a gpr-sho conversion with et low boost wheel and r2 reflash. most of the time when i get on it it redlines at around the stock..i believe its 72-7300. but then when i feather the throttle a little it jumps up to the 8300 rpm that its supposed to have with the r2 in it. it doesnt do it all the time, sometimes it goes right to 8300. only thing i can think of is a bad flash. r&d already told me if i think that is really the problem i can send it back and theyll take a look but suggested i check the afr..i dont think thats the problem as it only happens sometimes...so any other ideas?

+1
    AFR is a good point...

theres 2 reasons i dont think thats what the problem is..1st is its so inconsistent..if it was an afr problem it would happen all the time..2nd a friend of mine is runnin an identical setup except slightly higher boost and an r3 flash, which is even higher rpm..and is not having any problems like this...im gonna borrow his r3 tomm and see if it still has the same problem

+1
    Even if AFR was off that would indicate a bad flash as the flash is mapped for his set-up..
    Quote Originally Posted by meeper View Post
    AFR is a good point...

+1
    An R3 is certainly a better match for the ET LB wheel. I think you're starving for fuel on top end, which is why feathering back slightly gives you a boost in RPMs. Have you checked your plugs for indications of a lean condition - especially #2 & #3 plugs.

If the R3 doesn't alleviate the problem, might be worth a trip to the dealer and a hookup to their YDIS to rule out a sensor malfunction.

If it were me, I'd get that ECM back to R&D for a r2 to r3 reflash - particularly if your R2 is about a year or so old. Early R2 flashes ran leaner than current R2 flashes.

its not really feathering it..guess i kinda explained it wrong..when its pinned at 7300 or so i have to let off it completely and then gun it again and sometimes itll go back to 7300 while others itll jump up to 8300..i just got the ecu back last week. so thats not the prob. but wouldnt r2 and r3 give at least a similar amount of fuel on the top end?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Even if AFR was off that would indicate a bad flash as the flash is mapped for his set-up..
    yeah im not tryin to say the flash is bad, a computer just doesn't change parameters on its own, LOL

+1
    Well, trying your friends R3 will take a huge variable out of the equation. R3 has quite a bit more fuel on top end. When I had my (older) R2 reflashed to R3, I was able to remove the powershot that I'd had to run 7-8 to keep AFRs safe.

If the problem persists w/ his R3, then my best guess would be a faulty sensor. You can troubleshoot voltages on the harness side of most sensors with a VOM, but Identifying a bad sensor will need the YDIS. If your conversion preserved the onboard diagnostics, have you checked for a code at full throttle?

I'm assuming you're using an after market tach?

+1
    ecpchris had a somewhat similar problem on his SHO. I think it wound up being his prop. Send him a PM or ask james to reach out to him.

+1
    Received a PM this morning that the new R2 & R3 flashes have the same fuel on top end. I can't confirm that, but will ask next time I talk to Glen @ R&D

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information