+1

Best impeller choice

I have a reletively stock 1200xlt with an aftermarket Solas 12/18 I believe. I am running:

150 psi head
    rejetted carbs w/ FA
    D-plate & temp sensor

Really don't want to get into any modified engine work, so what is the better choice for impeller? Should I go :

1. Solas 13/19
    2. Solas 13/19 pitched to a 12/18 (heard it was faster than the stock 12/1
    3. Keep the 12/18 I have. Anything I can do to get anymore out of it?

Already have the cut ride plate and looking for an intake grate now.

Moderated
    you pitch according to rpm...for a single pipe gpr we aim for 7100-7250 odd....not sure what the target rpm is for an xlt....

+1
    Same engine and pump, so I assume the same?

60% of the time, it works every time.
    What speeds are you seeing now?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by leejax01 View Post
    I have a reletively stock 1200xlt with an aftermarket Solas 12/18 .........

Sounds like you already have a 13/19 that may have already been depitched to a 12/18. Have you double checked the side of your Solas for its original pitch? It is a very good all around impeller for your set up.

I would recommend a 5 degree thrust nozzle from a GPR if you do not already have one. It helps to lift that big hull out of the water, makes the boat feel lively and nimble, gives you about 1mph increased top speed and a slightly drier ride to boot. Simple mod (really cheap speed) and lots of bang for the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    Sounds like you already have a 13/19 that may have already been depitched to a 12/18. Have you double checked the side of your Solas for its original pitch? It is a very good all around impeller for your set up.

I would recommend a 5 degree thrust nozzle from a GPR if you do not already have one. It helps to lift that big hull out of the water, makes the boat feel lively and nimble, gives you about 1mph increased top speed and a slightly drier ride to boot. Simple mod (really cheap speed) and lots of bang for the buck.
    X2 on the nozzle.. The front half of my hull is pretty rough and the 5° nozzle brought me up 3mph by getting it up out of the water..

+1
    So, which is the better impeller for the set up? A 13/19 or 12/18? I heard a repitched 13/19 to 12/18 is better than the stock 12/18? Any ideas?

Also with the nozzle, where do I run the trim? Can I still use the reverse bucket with it?

I have a reletively stock 1200xlt with an aftermarket Solas 12/18 I believe. I am running:

150 psi head
    rejetted carbs w/ FA
    D-plate & temp sensor
    You could very well have a Solas 12/18 as it is a part of the Riva Stage 1 package. What are your current speed and rpm's?

Quote Originally Posted by project View Post
    X2 on the nozzle.. The front half of my hull is pretty rough and the 5° nozzle brought me up 3mph by getting it up out of the water..
    Does it matter which year GPR? Do you think it will help a stock XLT as well?

+1
    So, which is the better impeller for the set up? A 13/19 or 12/18? I heard a repitched 13/19 to 12/18 is better than the stock 12/18? Any ideas?

Also with the nozzle, where do I run the trim? Can I still use the reverse bucket with it?

I do not even know if Solas makes a "stock" 12/18, but I do know that a 13/19 depitched to a 12/18 is very common and a very good all around impeller for the 3 seaters. This is probably what you have. Solas marks the outside of the hub with the pitch from the factory. Many professional impeller tuners (speed freaks, Carl at Long Island racing for example) will remark it with the new pitch on the inside of the hub. They will also balance the impeller by drilling small amounts of metal out of the inside of the hub.

Yes you can still use the reverse bucket. You will have to exactly match the bolt holes on the GPR nozzle by drilling and tapping, but Yamaha made it easy because it is virtually marked for you where to drill. It is a very simple mod and well worth your while.

This mod will work for the XL and the XLT, and yes it will help a stock boat. It is the simplest, cheapest bolt on speed you are going to find.

In 2000 and 2001 (the 1200 years) the thrust nozzle had an 87mm diameter outlet. With all of the 1300 model years, the nozzle had an 85mm outlet. Both nozzles will work. With the 85 mm nozzle, people reported a better top end with lower rpms then those who had an 87mm nozzle. The holeshot results were mixed as far as which one was better. If I were to buy a new thrust nozzzle for this boat, I would get the 85 mm one. Truth be known, either one is going to show you a significant change in how your craft operates.

So get on the classified section and ask for an 85mm nozzle and settle for the 87. Who knows, if you do not know how to drill and tap, ask the seller to do it for you and throw in a few extra bucks for his time.

60% of the time, it works every time.
    Agreed, gpr nozzle and keyway were best bang for the buck mods. Gpr nozzle is easy to drill and tap, the bosses are already there. I have a riva13/20sb repitched to 12/18 by jim and am pretty pleased with it. Would like to try the 13/19 to see what difference it would make. If you need a hand with any of these mods or need impeller tools, im just around the corner. Lemme know.

Thread Information