Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Low/Fluctuating RPM's

I installed Jerry's washers 3 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago I got a check engine light but I think it was just a loose connection because it went away. Last weekend I could only run 66 @ 7900 RPM's (non-GPS, 43 deg water, 55 air). This weekend I could only run 64 @ 7700 (non-GPS, 53 deg water, 64 air). Both times were on flat water. Plus on top of that the rpm's would be constantly fluctuating by +/- 200. From idle all the way to WOT the RPM's would be jumping up and down.

There weren't any vibrations but when I ran it out of the water it sounded like there was metal banging around in the motor, it definitely didn't sound right.

Please help me figure out what this thing is doing so I can save it before it blows up on me. It has 44.5 hrs on it. What can I check????

Thanks
    Chris

chris. check your pump and make sure nothing is stuck in there. Look in the pump from stern, and look into the pump from underneath the boat. Even the slightest debris in there will cause problems . . .

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds like a spark problem to me.

+1
    What was the slip moment after you changed the washers?
    Have you pulled the SC to check the slip since you started having problems?

You mention a noise. Did you use red loc tite and torque the nut on the back of the SC to 22 ft lbs?

I see by the color of your ski you have either an 04 or 05 ski. I have seen flywheel bolts back out of 04-05 model skis causing a knocking or rattling noise and it will also cause check engine alarms and erratic RPM's due to the encoder wheel on the flywheel being out of whack as the crank position sensor tries to read it. 06's have updated bolts and there is a replacement bolt kit available thru Sea Doo for 04-05's.

More than likely your noise is coming from a driveline issue. Pull the pump and check to make sure there is no play in the pump shaft. Also, there is a rubber stopper on the end of the driveshaft that can come off and will cause the driveshaft to walk back and forth a bit possibly causing a noise.
    Last edited by Green Hulk; 12-16-2006 at 06:28 PM.

V-Tec, 4-Tech that's how I roll meirvin's Avatar
    +1
    I dont think i have ever seen a rubber stopper? anyone have any pics

+1
    here you go!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	12416   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	12417  

I have an '04. I used Red Loc Tite and torqued the nut down. However I did not know about checking the slip moment.

I found this, "To measure the slip torque of the clutch, turn the impeller cap nut with the torque wrench while holding the gear. The new clutch should start to slip at a torque of 7 to 12 NM (62-106 inch pounds)." Do these numbers apply to my 04 clutch or only to the 06 rebuild kit?

I am unfamiliar with this motor... where can I find the flywheel bolts to check them? Also, I know not to use synthetic oil on the SC, so, which oil should I get to coat all the parts with before I reinstall the SC? I am sure the BRP oil is quite pricey.

I will pull the SC and pump over my Christmas vacation and hopefully get to the bottom of this. I appreciate the help, if you could just point me to the correct articles to read I can probably figure it out. Problem is, I don't know where to look.

+1
    It's important to check the slip moment after installing a new clutch. Many factors can lead to a less than desireable slip moment such as gear thickness, driven plate thickness, lock washer thickness and the condition of the spring washers. Doing a quick slip moment test with an accurate dial type torque wrench will let you know that everything is in check.

The flywheel bolts are located inside the PTO housing. You must remove your engine and remove the PTO housing to get to the flywheel.

What oil should I use to coat my SC parts when I take it apart? I know not to use synthetic.

What numbers should I be looking for when I test my slip moment?

Thanks
    Chris

+1
    Chris, i use the Bombardier oil. Slip moment should be between 9 and 10 Newton Meters.

Would you prefer sending me your SC to check?
    I perform all of these checks when installing new clutch washers:
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15971

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information