Milky oil and now SC doesn't spool..need help!

Hey all,

I turn to you guys with a question. Forgive me for the long description but I figured the more details I provide the easier it will be to diagnose. So here's the problem.

I have an '06 Seadoo RXP and at the beginning of the season I got around to changing the oil, filter, spark plugs, and battery for the summer. When I pulled out the dipstick I noticed it was all covered in thick milky oil. My first guess was headgasket or something, but the Ski ran strong only 2 weeks prior to this and showed no signs of any damage. So I drained as much of the dirty oil out as I could, put in some fresh oil, turned it over w/o starting it, and drained it again (it still was as milky as before i added the fresh oil in).

The next weekend i took it out on the water and rode it very gently just to see if it runs, and it did. I started off real easy just idling, with a bit of gas. The SC was spooling and I progresively gave it more and more gas and it ran great. I went back to the dock and checked the oil and the dipstick came up clean. I was so relieved cause I figured maybe it was just some fuel or coolant that got in and now everything is good. Since the oil was still a bit dirty before i took it on the water I wanted to be on the safe side and flush the oil one more time, also mainly to change the oil filter again since it's now probably gunked up with the remains of the milk that were left over from the previous oil change.

So I got home, drained as much oil as I could, added fresh oil once again, dipstick showed good oil level, changed oil filter and called it a day. Following weekend I went on the water, this time positive that everything is good since it ran great just a week earlier and now it has fresh oil and filter. So i get on the water and the second i give it a tiny bit of gas I realize I don't hear the SC. And now I'm baffled because it all worked just a few days ago! I go back to the dock, check the dipstick, and the oil level is at minimum (I must've added to little oil the 2nd time around ). I got home, thinking...OK..maybe the low oil level caused the SC to malfunction? so I topped it off with oil, oil level was now good and took it on the water again....SC is still not spooling, but oil level is good.

So my question is...what could possibly be wrong? the Ski had the cluch washers replaced with metal ones 2 seasons ago so it's hard for me to believe that it could be that...is my SC shot? and how could it break over night? Need help!!

Also, if there are any mechanics in the North Jersey area that are willing to come to my house and fix it that would be great since all the shop around me are backed up with 2-4 week wait times

Thanks so much for reading.

Everthing louder than everything else! sHALlow's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXPmonkey View Post
    Hey all,

I turn to you guys with a question. Forgive me for the long description but I figured the more details I provide the easier it will be to diagnose. So here's the problem.

I have an '06 Seadoo RXP and at the beginning of the season I got around to changing the oil, filter, spark plugs, and battery for the summer. When I pulled out the dipstick I noticed it was all covered in thick milky oil. My first guess was headgasket or something, but the Ski ran strong only 2 weeks prior to this and showed no signs of any damage. So I drained as much of the dirty oil out as I could, put in some fresh oil, turned it over w/o starting it, and drained it again (it still was as milky as before i added the fresh oil in).

The next weekend i took it out on the water and rode it very gently just to see if it runs, and it did. I started off real easy just idling, with a bit of gas. The SC was spooling and I progresively gave it more and more gas and it ran great. I went back to the dock and checked the oil and the dipstick came up clean. I was so relieved cause I figured maybe it was just some fuel or coolant that got in and now everything is good. Since the oil was still a bit dirty before i took it on the water I wanted to be on the safe side and flush the oil one more time, also mainly to change the oil filter again since it's now probably gunked up with the remains of the milk that were left over from the previous oil change.

So I got home, drained as much oil as I could, added fresh oil once again, dipstick showed good oil level, changed oil filter and called it a day. Following weekend I went on the water, this time positive that everything is good since it ran great just a week earlier and now it has fresh oil and filter. So i get on the water and the second i give it a tiny bit of gas I realize I don't hear the SC. And now I'm baffled because it all worked just a few days ago! I go back to the dock, check the dipstick, and the oil level is at minimum (I must've added to little oil the 2nd time around ). I got home, thinking...OK..maybe the low oil level caused the SC to malfunction? so I topped it off with oil, oil level was now good and took it on the water again....SC is still not spooling, but oil level is good.

So my question is...what could possibly be wrong? the Ski had the cluch washers replaced with metal ones 2 seasons ago so it's hard for me to believe that it could be that...is my SC shot? and how could it break over night? Need help!!

Also, if there are any mechanics in the North Jersey area that are willing to come to my house and fix it that would be great since all the shop around me are backed up with 2-4 week wait times

Thanks so much for reading.
    i'd pull the supercharger, not too tough of a job
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...y-Sean-Coleman

Tak the inlet hose of the charger and see if you can spin the impeller just by hand,if it spins pull the charger and hope the engine didnt eat the clutchdisk's.

+1
    Pull the intake off as Lars suggested. Try and spin the wheel by hand. It will normally move a little. If you can freely spin it, you have a problem. The engine will more than likely have to come out and the engine flushed as you have dropped a washer. Check your oil separator screen and see what you can find. You might get lucky and find ALL the pieces. It will still be beneficial to do the flush even if you do. Really wear out your main bearings you can.

The milky oil is more likely due to water of some sort (go figure). Do a compression check. Number should be in the upper 120s to low/mid 130's.
    How is your coolant level?
    Another thing to think about is you might have a boost leak somewhere.
    What are your RPMS's?
    The metal washers aren't a guarantee. Did you have a FULL REBUILD or just the metal washers added?
    Check your hose leaving the SC going to the TB. You might have a leak. I would start there, then go to the SC and see if it spins freely. Sort it out before you ride again.

Not sure where the water is coming from though.... Does your hull fill with water often? If so, check your carbon seal and bellows. Maybe you are taking water and the intake is sucking it up slightly and getting into the engine. When you do these flushes with the oil, don't use the filter.

Quote Originally Posted by MSRXP View Post
    Pull the intake off as Lars suggested. Try and spin the wheel by hand. It will normally move a little. If you can freely spin it, you have a problem. The engine will more than likely have to come out and the engine flushed as you have dropped a washer. Check your oil separator screen and see what you can find. You might get lucky and find ALL the pieces. It will still be beneficial to do the flush even if you do. Really wear out your main bearings you can.

The milky oil is more likely due to water of some sort (go figure). Do a compression check. Number should be in the upper 120s to low/mid 130's.
    How is your coolant level?
    Another thing to think about is you might have a boost leak somewhere.
    What are your RPMS's?
    The metal washers aren't a guarantee. Did you have a FULL REBUILD or just the metal washers added?
    Check your hose leaving the SC going to the TB. You might have a leak. I would start there, then go to the SC and see if it spins freely. Sort it out before you ride again.

Not sure where the water is coming from though.... Does your hull fill with water often? If so, check your carbon seal and bellows. Maybe you are taking water and the intake is sucking it up slightly and getting into the engine. When you do these flushes with the oil, don't use the filter.

Thanks! That's some great advice. And Shallow, thanks for the link to the DIY, SC removal looks very simple, could definitely do that myself. Last night I checked the SC and the turbine spins freely :/ There was also some milky residue inside the pipe.

Looks like the Ski is goin in the shop this week. I could easily take the SC out and put it back in myself but I don't have the tools to propery secure the washers and check for slip...and I'm too paranoid about not finding all the pieces of the washers and then blowing up the motor lol....So shop it is.

Thank you all for your replies!! They were great help

+1
    That sucks that you dropped a washer. You would think by now they would have a way for this not to happen. Even on metal washers it is no guarantee. Hate that bro! Good luck on the rebuild.

Thread Information