Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

08 250X: SMC+Paint or GelCoat - how to repair hull scars

I purchase two used 08 250X's with 26 hrs each. Everything seems to be well cared for except the guy beached them and scared the hulls. What is the best way to repair both the minor scratches as well as the grooves. Can the surface be polished to remove scratches with super fine grit wet dry and/or machine polished? I don't know if these late models are just painted or colored gelcoat. What about the deeper scarring? I tried to capture some photos below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0106.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	247441   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0105.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	247440   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0104.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	247442  

ALL Kawi pwc models made after 2000 are gel coated over the hand laid fiberglass on the hull bottom (below the bumper line). The deck (above bumper line) is paint over the SMC.

The gel coat on the bottom hull is only about 2 mm and if water catches in between gel coat and the fiberglass while riding the ski, the gel coat will separate from the hull in LARGE sheets. It is urgent that you take care of deep scratches immediately.

Google and find "SpectrumColors" that sells gel coat repair kits. They've been carrying color matching Kawi gel coats for more than 10 years. If you can't do it, take your skis to a boat hull repair place. They do this kind of gel coat repair all the time. I say it will cost you about $200~$300 per ski.

@meangreenman - sounds like knowledgeable advice - and from reading this is different than what someone else locally suggested - Marine Tex, which is an epoxy filler. Once I fill the deeper gouges with Spectrum, can I then machine polish out the scratches without further damage ... or should I perform further repair (gelcoat skinning) of the entire hull? I assume the Spectrum gelcoat is rather paste-like and is mostly used for filling?

Thanks for the sage advice

+1
    In general large sheets of gel-coat will not sepearate from a hull. Ideal Gel-coat thickness is usually in the 20-30 mill range, about 1/2 a mm. unusually thick gel coat could result in the gel-coat cracking. When large sheets of the hull are torn off, its called delamination and takes the actual fiberglass with it, usually due to poor wetting out of the glass and insufficient resin to glass ratio I.E. manufacturers trying to save money on raw materials. However it is usually a good idea to repair any chips that do make it through the gel-coat and into the fiberglass. Those pictures to me look like surface scratches, no amount of buffing is going to totally remove them without taking off too much of the gel-coat. The only way to truely have a pristine bottom is to sand and re gel-coat the entire bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris288 View Post
    large sheets of gel-coat will not sepearate from a hull.

Are these large enough?

That's a 2007 250X.
    Probably the OP's ski would not be like above since the pics he posted do not look too bad. But I would not take a chance if it were my ski. I will get it fixed ASAP.

+1
    MG, wasnt disagreeing with you about potential problems, just saying that the gel-coat itself will not just seperate from the glass, usually the glass goes also. It will all start with a chip or a gouge and the water actually gets between the layers of glass and tears them apart... It also appears that damage was more than just a scratch gone bad, looks like impact damage also. It also looks like the keel is not straight glass/resin but maybe a putty, forgot the name of it now.

2011 N/A champ 2011-2012 turbo champ
    good thread!! i have some chips made by little stones on the highway while towing. should i give a look they are really small???

Whether it is gel coat or fiberglass whichever comes off first, the point is it comes off in large pieces once water catches on.

Our shop has seen lots of these. This is a 15F.

+1
    Yep, those are nasty. Thats why many boat builders and fiberglass part manufacturers now use vacuum bagging in the manufacturing of fiberglass products. Its a much better process and ensures even resin distrubion and will be less prone to failure where dry glass can exist.

Anyone know a good place to get hull repairs done in Brisbane, QLD? Last time I took it to a Kawasaki dealer they charged me $200 to repair two glass-deep nicks the size of a finger nail... At that rate I'd be up for $2000 for the whole hull!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information