Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy Another problem with my 99 Genesis

Whats up fellows. This ski has been fairly good to me since late 09 since i completely rebuilt it with a new stator also.

I was talking with k447 last year about the mfd display/having to reset it to bring it out of the rpm limiter mode and all was well and i dealt with it but lately been having some problems. My ski would not start up when someone went to get on it a week ago after tubing with some people for a good hour.

I was running 7.8 ounces too rich on a full tank due to miscalculation but figured it wouldnt be too bad. Eventually the battery was weak i think from the person trying to start it over and over. Its a good Gel battery though. I charged it the next day just enough to run it. It ran fine. Took it out for 10 minutes. The next day the battery was weak and wouldnt start it. We jumped it real quick and i took right off probably with a low battery. I noticed it did not have the power like normal and eventually barely ran by the time i drove it over to the launching ramp 1/2 mile away. I think because of the battery it was running weak. Anyways we took it up north and i slow charged the battery on a trickle charger the night before heading to the lake. Upon being launched the next day. It had little power. I think it was stuck in the reverse 1000rpm limiter mode though. I could not reset the display like i always could before.

We changed the plugs for the hell of it outside the marina and it started but was in reverse no kore than 1000-rpm mode again. I hit the 4th button on the display and bam it instantly had full power again so i figured we were good to go like usual. I also before this found the positive wire coming from the battery to the electrical by the cdi was slightly loose so i tightened it but no change before this.

We launched and i drove for a long distance in no wake zone (5-6 minutes it seemed like until i could get out of the no wake zone out onto Lake Huron).
    It ran fine for about 30 seconds on the gas then started losing power. I could start it back up it and creep back for a very short distance trying to get back to the breakwall. Eventually i had to be towed back in thanks to a nice fellow on a Sea-doo. This almost seems like a fuel issue now because i have the battery hooked up to a charger getting 14-15 volts and am getting spark on all 3 wires but now it will not start up. I dont know whats up with it. Even when the stator was bad in this the ski would start but now nothing.

I guess i could pull the fuel line? and start it? See if any gas is coming out? Any suggestions are appreciated. The fuel seperator shows the red ring at the bottom so i think thats good?.

I look forward to hearing some good tech help. K-447 WHERE YOU AT??

Have you tried running the ski with the MFD unplugged? Are you getting any warnings on the screen? When you said the ski was in reverse, was it actually in reverse or just indicating it on the screen?
    Last edited by jackofalltrades; 07-27-2011 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Content

Hi. Thanks for the reply. The ski will not run or start or do anything with the display unplugged. I tried that. I have disconnected it and it does reset itself. I am getting no warnings on the screen. If i have the oil tank hooked up it will blink a red light for low oil but i have that disconnected because i discraded the oil injection and put a block off kit on the motor. The reverse i think may be disconnected in the back but the motor on the inside of the hull i would assume quit working and the connection to that was disconnected some time along the line trying to fix that slow 1000-rpm mode thing. All of the things have been like this since i rebulit this in August 2009.

I have had no problems with it but only was able to get it out a few times each year so i have put maybe 6 or 7 hours on the ski since i bought it when it had 88 hours blown up.

I called around and am having a problem getting someone to work on this. They claim they "would rather not" or "Dont like to" work on them. My only hope is to get some tech help here and i am begging you guys to chime in or i am screwed and this thing will be a parts machine and i will never get back on the water. I have a service manual but do not know where to begin for diagnostics. How do i check if the machine is getting fuel? Arent the fuel pumps in the carburetors? I checked the water/fuel seperator canister and its clean. Should i pull the carbs off? Do i have to? and check the filters inside each carb or is that just wasting my time? Please throw me some help. Thanks.

Could it be my MFD still seems to function fine and all the lights work but it wont let the machine start?? I am up in arms here. I know you guys can give me a few things to look at. I have plenty of time and am off work now and have time to do some things if thasts what it takes. Thanks.

Get me the pic of the inside as I have yet to work on a 99 Geneses. Check around for leaks in the fuel line. Since you have the blocked off it's not putting lean mode on. Look at the fuel filter. If it's black, replace it. I was looking around and on my 1995 there is a kink on a gas line by the carburetor. Get me a pic and I might be able to help you further.

Hope all goes well-Carson

+1
    You need a good battery, that holds a charge and has atleast 10.6 volts while cranking.

If you have spark, you can spray some carb cleaner into carbs to see if it will start (just like adding fuel)

The oil sender needs to be at the full position,if the oil light is blinking -it will be in "limp mode"

Banned User
    +1
    TO get it to run without the MFI you need to put a jumper wire between pins 1 and 3 of the wire harness. That will ground the start solenoid and allow the engine to crank and run.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...84#post1108784

I believe its the pins that have the black and the purple/white wire.

Hi, Thanks for the replies fellows. I found someone to help me with it. He switched the wires around and was able to get it fired up so he said i need a cdi. I am just wondering if i can use anyone for a carbureted Genesis or does it have to match my stator?. I had a new stator put on my motor 5 hours ago and the guy who ordered it from Polaris said it was newer then a 1999. I thought he said it was for a 2002? Should i make sure the cdi i get has the exact same part numbers? Or will any Genesis carb model Cdi work. Thanks.

I found a new cdi from a pwc shop that has part numbers 573210, 40100885, and 4010567

The cdi in my ski when i bought it at 88.5 hours back in late 2008 which i think is the original cdi is 573204 and 4010377

My old stator that i replaced in 1999 has 4010170 and after that 3/99 all stamped in ink

The Polaris box from the new stator i had put in back in August 2009 says part # 4010170 and also says Gen3 also on the box. Box is from 2/05

Just wondering if this new cdi i found will work with my stator. I have exhausted myself looking on here in the useful help information trying to find this out soon. Reason is i have 5 hours round trip drive time to go pick this new cdi i found and i would have to get it tomorrow. Please chime in asap. Thanks. I really appreciate your guys time inquiring on this.

Banned User
    +1
    I would think you are ok. All of the 1200s used the gen 3 ignition system.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information