Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

My 15F performance think tank

I've been reading lost of threads on this forum on performance mods and have seen some mixed reviews on what can or can't be done to a 15F.

Majority of people say the 15f is a great craft to ride, lots of fun.

Some say theirs not much you can do to enhance performance.

I'm trying to prove those that doupt it and be one othe those guys that actually do it.(eventually)

So far i've found that Team Kawasaki has supercharged a 15f to 330hp.
    I've also found that a turbo mod has been done by people like peak powersports, jetworxs and 71pete who is a member of this forum.
    I also think R rated performance has done it too but can't tell cause I see a pic of what appears to be a 15f with a turbo but then another pic says aquatrex 15F which has lost me.

Eitherway it seems like it can be done and has been done but no raves as to the amount of performance power that was risen from this n/a slient beast.

I'm currently following this thread nasty15f from smokeysevin that looks and sounds like a F#$kin beast.

My question to whom ever reads this is if the ultras are based on the 15f and the 15f is based on the Kawasaki Ninja why cant the 15f do more with what may be available from the Kawasaki Ninja?

Here's a quick breakdown of what I have in my 15f and the cost of the parts.

Garrett GT2860 Turbo, water jacketed exhaust housing - 1200
    J-pipe and turbo plumbing - 1000
    Innovate Wideband 02 sensor and Gauge - 300
    MTC Pistons - 450
    Carrillo Rods - 1050
    Valve Springs & Retainers - 300
    ARP Head Studs - 125
    Fuel Injectors - 300
    Walbro 255 - 100
    Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator - 100
    ECU - 1000
    Wiring harness and accessories - 100
    Intercooler - 200
    Skat Trak Pump and Prop - 1200
    Case Mods - just time
    Cost of Jetski-

That's 8k just in parts, not including labor and all that goes into it. With all the new Kawasaki jetskis you could probably save some money buying some parts of those, but would still need to do custom mods to make them work.

You could do some simple mods, air intake, prop, RPM kit, etc, but you aren't going to get tons of speed out of it.

Just my $0.02...

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Good line of thinking, my build uses the following direct from the zx12r
    Je 9.8:1 pistons ( with the longer stroke it works out to 11.9:1 static cr)
    Valves (mine were toast and they are cheaper)
    Carpenter valve springs (65# for safer rpms above stock)
    Camshafts ( stock 2001 to 2007? Drop in.)
    Throttle bodies (with adapter)

This is very limited as far as potential goes once its done its done. The team kawasaki had 430 not 330 it was running a built bottom end and originally a big vortec charger then they swapped to the turbo. Judge racing had one with a claimed 450 hp
    These skis all ran over 80 in cc trim and would more than likely be mid 90s or more if set up for speed.

The best piece of advice I can give is start out buy deciding if you want to boost, then if you do vortec or turbo.

Then find your ecu, I have a yellowracing, motec makes one, autronics makes one and you can use anything else that will have the stock sensors plus an 02 sensor. Then if you go turbo you must get a boost mappable ecu (it will make everything simpler) from there build the motor for your goals, dont use stock pistons, valves or springs, the rest is good to upgrade but not required. Finally dont skimp on the fuel syste,.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask

Sean

Good ones guys but how about a complete change or cross over from a zx12r to the 15f.
    Meaning the ZX12R cams, pistons, throttle bodies, ecu etc.
    I mean after seeing smokeysevin mod so far why cant you just change it all over.
    I've been looking around and found pretty much the whole engine and electronics for $1,500.
    I mean it sounds like it might work. opinions ideas anyone

+1
    The compression ratio would require really high octane, and the ecu does not just swap (i tried) the harness is different and has a bumch of different stuff including the charging system

Sean

Sorry I dont understand.
    Harness being different I guess the charging system part of it would give more of a charge because of more devices being used ie lights.
    I don't understand why a stock zx12R with the same 83mm bore as the 15F would need a higher octane.
    If the 15f will take the ZX12R stock pistons & cams but the only difference is the higher stroke on the 15F and a higher compression ratio on the stock zx12r pistons.
    I dont see why it would need a higher octane.
    This would mean that the Riva endurance kit is totally based on this idea/concept, hens the reason for the race fuel i guess.

+1
    The engine in the zx12r is a 1198 cc (1200)
    The engine in the 15f is a 1496cc (1500)

They have the same bore (83mm)

This means that the stroke is longer in the 15f (55.4mm for the zx and 69.2 for the stx)

This means that any piston that was designed to work in the zx12r will increase the compression ratio if you have a longer stroke because of the added volume in the 15f cylinders.

A perfect example is the pistons I am using. They are made for the zx12r and with its 55.4 mm stroke they were at 9.8:1 when you go up to the 69.2 mm stroke that compression ratio bumps up to 11.99:1 (call it 12). I don't remember the exact number but with stock pistons from the zx it would be over 14:1 taking serious octane fuel. Any time the compression ratio goes up you need better fuel, anything above 12.0:1 requires at minimum 93 octane 95 would be better.The point I was making with the charging system is that its not plug and play. The zx12r also uses a different style ecu, its a much older motorola unit no longer used by kawasaki. The ecu in the 15f is a newer mitsubishi unit that is used by nearly all of the new bikes, I believe (but am not sure) you may be able to use the factory programmable zx10r ecu and tune it for the added displacement (do not quote me I have never done it)

Sean

Smokeysevin I was looking into the fuel system upgrade and found a universal 255 in-line fuel pump from TRE Performance. Here is the link
    http://treperformance.com/i-788467-u...fuel-pump.html

What do you think as the Walbro one seems more specific to vehicles and I cannot find the one that most people have been usuing for the 15F.
    Plus TRE claims that their pump is a lot quieter that the Walbro one. Which one are you usuing and is it true that the Walbro one is noisier

Walbro GSS342 is the replacement pump. You have to get the complete kit with a connector plug. Then make sure you use fuel resistant heat shrink when completing the connections. The bottom of the housing also has to be modified a little bit to accommodate the larger pump. Pretty easy to do overall. If you use google cache you can find pics of how to do it from teammotoracing website. Its under the R&D piston kit install. Can be done for about 100 bucks overall

So the site says to install a R&D pressure regulator block off. Is it a must? If I'm installing an external fuel pressure regulator (fuellab etc) does it still need to be block off? Is their another way to block it off?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information