Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just picked up an Ultra 150 ('99) Few Questions

Hi guys,

Just picked up my first Jet ski (Ultra 150) I have a few questions and hoping you can point me in the right direction.

The ski runs awesome, I have never had a 2 stroke jet ski before any tips I can start reading about the Ultra 150 to get acquainted with it?

Also, there is one small issue with mine, the display/screen doesn't work is this a known issue? Other than that I can't wait to get it out on the water, I rode it around for a bit today and it was CRAZY FAST.

Thanks!

+1
    The display is a BIG issue when you go to replace it. Over $800 for a new one, but you can usually find a used one on Ebay for $200-300. When you replace it, make sure you put 3M 5200 sealant all over and around the rubber plug on the back to keep water out.

Make sure you inspect/replace the oil lines. They can get brittle with age and split or come off. It is NOT feasible to convert to pre-mix on the Ultra engine.

The triple pisser mod is well worth doing. It allow you to monitor water flow from each cylinder head. A coolant water strainer is a really good idea, too.

The Ultra pumps need to be overhauled pretty frequently. Make sure the seals are upgraded when you do it.

The stock Ultra has too much down trim. Many people adjust it way up, or cut the cable, or (in my case) make a new offset bracket that attaches the cable to the nozzle.

The gas spring on the front storage compartment rusts out. I can give you a link to a guy that will make a stainless one for you.

Check your hull number. The early '99s required an expensive spark plug because of advanced timing.

There are other things, but this will get you started.

Thanks for the quick reply. So it has to be the display thats broken? Can I still ride it w/o a display with no issues? It rides fine the way it is now.

Regarding replacement is it easy to swap?

riding it without the display working is a known issue that cannot be avoided, your wallet will never quit thanking you !

Quote Originally Posted by 123456 View Post
    riding it without the display working is a known issue that cannot be avoided, your wallet will never quit thanking you !
    OK, I'm glad its a common problem Now its time to enjoy it!

Only one I see around, must be in high demand, had to replace mine on my 99 also. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...rcraftQ5fParts

Quote Originally Posted by Chris288 View Post
    Only one I see around, must be in high demand, had to replace mine on my 99 also. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...rcraftQ5fParts
    Thanks, maybe I'll pick this one up.

+1
    It sure is nice to know how much gas you have left! Also, nice to be certain of the trim setting, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    it sure is nice to know how much gas you have left! Also, nice to be certain of the trim setting, etc.
    an the biggest consern is how much oil you have left an also the overheat warning!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    The display is a BIG issue when you go to replace it. Over $800 for a new one, but you can usually find a used one on Ebay for $200-300. When you replace it, make sure you put 3M 5200 sealant all over and around the rubber plug on the back to keep water out.

Make sure you inspect/replace the oil lines. They can get brittle with age and split or come off. It is NOT feasible to convert to pre-mix on the Ultra engine.

The triple pisser mod is well worth doing. It allow you to monitor water flow from each cylinder head. A coolant water strainer is a really good idea, too.

The Ultra pumps need to be overhauled pretty frequently. Make sure the seals are upgraded when you do it.

The stock Ultra has too much down trim. Many people adjust it way up, or cut the cable, or (in my case) make a new offset bracket that attaches the cable to the nozzle.

The gas spring on the front storage compartment rusts out. I can give you a link to a guy that will make a stainless one for you.

Check your hull number. The early '99s required an expensive spark plug because of advanced timing.

There are other things, but this will get you started.
    Why is it not feasable to convert to premix?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information