Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Tip of the day: checking supercharger clutch health

The most important thing for us to remember is a clutch is a wear item and will not last forever. Wear occurs over time and should be checked.

There are several factors that come into play that affect the slip moment and overall performance of the SC clutch assembly. If any one thing is not within spec the result could be a supercharger that slips too soon resulting in a poorly performing ski.

The areas of the clutch that need careful attention are the gear thickness, driven plate journal depth, lock washer thickness and spring washer stacked height.

For 04-05 assembly's (specs taken from manual)
    The driven plate journal depth on a new assembly is 9.96 to 10 mm. If it measures 10.3 mm or more its time to replace the shaft.

The gear thickness on a new gear is 11.05 - 11.0 mm. If it measures 10.5 mm or less its time to replace the gear.

The lock washer thickness is 6.9 - 7.1 mm new. If it measures 6.6 mm or less its time to replace the lock washer. (i think these specs are a misprint in the manual as i measured one and its not near this thick )

All 5 spring washers stacked measure 10.5 mm new. If they measure 9.7 mm or less then its time to replace the spring washers.

For 06 spec assembly's
    I don't have an 06 manual so im not sure of exact specs, but i have measured new components and judging from the wear tolerances Sea Doo gives us above for the 04-05 spec assemblys its pretty easy to estimate the service limits for the 06. If anyone has an 06 manual and wants to look up the specs for me i will upate this post.

The driven plate journal depth on a new assembly measures 12.45 - 12.5 mm. If it measures 12.8 or more its time to replace the shaft.

The gear thickness on a new gear is 11.0 mm. If it measures 10.5 mm or less its time to replace the gear.

The lock washer thickness is 4.0 to 4.07 mm new. If it measures 3.07 or less then its time to replace the lock washer.

All spring washers measure 10.5 mm new. If they measure 9.7 mm or less then its time to replace the spring washers.

So as you can see there are several other areas of the clutch assembly that wear other than the clutch washers. As wear occurs excessive slippage takes place. An easy remedy is to shim the clutch. Shims are .008 in thickness. I recommend no more than 2 shims. If you have 2 shims and are still experiencing slippage its because on or more areas of your clutch assembly has exceeded its service limits. Its time for a rebuild!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	12418   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	173.9 KB 
ID:	12419   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	185.9 KB 
ID:	12420   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	12421  

Jer, very good info. In all your tests and experiences, now that alot of us are using the metal washers can you say that the assy has longer life overall given the average set-up? longer if stock/unmodded engine with metal washers? I know the number one benefit was to rid the engine of the ceramics do we also see a benefit of longer life in rec ski`s?...PR...

+1
    I wouldn't think we get a longer life out of the metal washers. Just a much more reliable clutch and a clutch we can safely put more tension on for the modified skis turning higher RPM's. One downside to applying more tension is the more tension you apply the faster it will wear

I C, ok, after how many hours on a new set up would you check this?...PR...

+1
    I wouldn't! I would perform the above checks before throwing a new set of washers into a supercharger.

Jerry, Did you get that caliper at Harbor Freight? It looks like the one I had from there and it was crap.

I bought one hoping to be able to use it for work, but it proved to be a POS that I threw out.

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    +1
    Jerry i finally did my washers and a friend's last night. I noticed that when i torqued the nut down to 22 ftlbs that the spring washers seemed to be squeezed a lot tighter than before. Would this be because of the 8 thousandths extra thickness to the one washer? Does this affect the slip moment at all? i couldn't check mine so i just had to go by the torque specs. I figure the friction between the ceramic and metal washers would be different as well. All together i'm damn happy to have the ceramics gone though. I'm starting a ceramic washer collection so after i get a few thousand i can grind them up in oil and dump them on the BRP ceo's car.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    I wouldn't! I would perform the above checks before throwing a new set of washers into a supercharger.
    I have a completely new set-up. How long would you say I can go before these items wear? another words if /when the metal washers slip then check before new ones get installed...ok...PR...

Quote Originally Posted by 01xdime View Post
    I'm starting a ceramic washer collection so after i get a few thousand i can grind them up in oil and dump them on the BRP ceo's car.
    Holy crap LMAO...PR...

+1
    Lurker, i got that caliper from a local Auto Parts store. It may be the same one Harbor Freight sells? Its been real good to me so far though.

PR, If i had to guess i'd say 100 hours.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information