Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Taking money away from the Z06 Fund
    +1

Signs that a Riva IC is busted? Missing Major RPMs on Stage 2+ SHO

I've been chasing missing rpms all season on my SHO and it's getting worse. I've tried almost everything so far to diagnose the problem. I've narrowed it down to a boost leak, as I've replaced the plugs, oil/filter, gas, battery, no clutch issues (as far as I can tell without taking the whole thing apart). However, I can't find any issues in the BOV, as it works and bleeds off the boost. No leaks that I can see on the intake around the BOV tap, around the throttle body or on the IC tubes from the SC to IC and from IC to throttle body.

My last thinking is that my Riva IC is blown and bleeding off boost. Right now with the R3/C1 and Impros pitched Skat 14/20 prop, i'm only turning about 7300-7400rpms with a 84mm nozzle ring. Rest of the mods in my Sig. It's like the last 1/4 of throttle does nothing. I'm thinking somehow the Riva IC blew over the winter sitting, but not sure how/why as my ski sits covered in my garage. Only changes from last year was new plugs, new battery, oil/filter change and the R2 to R3 ECU. By the way, it did the same problem with the R2 ECU.

Any thoughts on how to check if my Riva IC is blown and what are my options or thoughts on my issue would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Jeff

+1
    You could do a "leakdown" test on it by disconnecting the water lines, plugging one side of the core, and pressurizing the other side with air, and looking for a pressure drop.. This could be done without having to take the unit out of the ski..

+1
    have u checked for a kinked waterline.
    either the inlet or outlet.
    i have heard of a guy having similiar problems with the riva powercooler and the reflash.
    it gives the illusion of it being heatsoaked.but, the rpms never get in the 8300 to 8600 range.

+1
    Thanks Lightning. I figured I wouuld need to pressure test the IC, but not sure what to use or how to plug one side to pressure test it. I know Yami makes a tool to use on the stock IC but not sure on the Riva one. Have to call Riva on Monday.

As for the water lines, checked those, the pisser runs strong for the IC, so its getting plenty of water from the pump and removing it as well. Also, the engine cooling looks fine.

This is really frustrating and at the end of my ropes with the damn SC problems. I'm ready to buy a VXR and be done with it.

Any other suggestions on my missing RPMs or how/why the Riva IC would be shot and causing the major boost leak or to keep the ski from reving past 7300rpms?

Thanks again

Do you ride in fresh or salt water ? I was chasing missing rpm's and found that my plugs kept rusting. Turned out that my stock intercooler was leaking salt water into the air intake, robbing rpms and rusting plugs.

+1
    Just think did you ski sit over the winter where the IC might have had water in it and that the water inside might freeze cracking the core allowing a small amount of water to spray into the IC air cooling aera? Take a look at this link http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...er-on-your-ski! Tommy Jordan

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_FZR View Post
    Do you ride in fresh or salt water ? I was chasing missing rpm's and found that my plugs kept rusting. Turned out that my stock intercooler was leaking salt water into the air intake, robbing rpms and rusting plugs.
    I ride in mainly fresh water and on occasion, brackish water, but have only ridden in fresh water for the past year. The plugs I took out that were left in from the winter looked normal. The new plugs I've replaced as well also show signs of normal use. #2/3 show a little leaner, but nothing crazy and no rust that I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    Just think did you ski sit over the winter where the IC might have had water in it and that the water inside might freeze cracking the core allowing a small amount of water to spray into the IC air cooling aera? Take a look at this link http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...er-on-your-ski! Tommy Jordan
    Yes, Tommy, the ski sat in my garage over the winter and I guess it's possible that the Riva IC could have had a small amt of water sitting in it. Not sure how I would know for sure, but it's possible. However, here in VA, temps don't go that low and with it in my garage, the temps never go below freezing in the garage, close to 35-33, but never freezing. It is definitely possible though. How do you go about storing the ski with a Riva IC or JD one? Run anti freeze in it when flushing it?

Thanks again guys.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by poof100 View Post
    How do you go about storing the ski with a Riva IC or JD one? Run anti freeze in it when flushing it?

Thanks again guys.
    Push a little straight antifreeze into the coolers core via the flush port till it trickles from the bypass fitting. Thats what I do with a cheap little drill pump. Then I push some in through the OE flush port for good measure.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jtskier11 View Post
    Push a little straight antifreeze into the coolers core via the flush port till it trickles from the bypass fitting. Thats what I do with a cheap little drill pump. Then I push some in through the OE flush port for good measure.
    Thanks JT, appreciate it.

By the way, how's your C1/R3 combo running? Hopefully you get some good speeds. Let me know what rpms you turn with that 13/21 and the R3/C1 with the Riva IC.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by poof100 View Post
    Thanks JT, appreciate it.

By the way, how's your C1/R3 combo running? Hopefully you get some good speeds. Let me know what rpms you turn with that 13/21 and the R3/C1 with the Riva IC.
    No prob!

I just bolted the ECU in about an hour ago. Gonna hit the water tomorrow after lunch with my dad. Gonna meet a forum member out there too that I helped put his RXTX together with some GH goodies. He hasnt ridden it yet either. So we are both taking "maiden voyages" in a sense. Ill let ya know how it works out. I myself am really curious how it will act though!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information