Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

08 GP1300R ran better with the stock impeller than with a new Solas DF. WTF?

I bought a solas 14/20DF for my 08 GP1300R and had Impros repitch it to 13/19. I installed it yesterday and took the ski out today with great expectations and was very disappointed. I dont know the exact speed i ran with the stock impeller but the display would read 75-76. I know the dash speedo isnt an accurate judge of speed but I have a tiny tach installed and it would turn 7250-7270RPM's with the stock impeller. With the solas impeller the holeshot absolutely sucks. Never cavitated with the stock impeller but now with the solas it cavitates and only turns 7000RPM's. I did GPS it with the Solas impeller and the best I got was 64.8MPH. A friend of mine has a Sea Doo RXT 215 and my GPR would wear him out all day long with my stock impeller. Now with the Solas he gets me out the hole and I play catch up. I do catch him and pass him but before it was no contest. Any ideas what could be wrong? At this point I'm ready to put the stock impeller back in. Anyone need a Solas DF impeller? I may have one for sale very shortly.

+1
    Did you seal the pump shoe when you had it apart? What seal do you have on the front of the impeller?

I did not seal the pump shoe because I didn't think it would be a problem since I never had any cavitation with the stock impeller. As for the impeller I used the billet nose cone that came with it.

Quote Originally Posted by yamadood View Post
    I did not seal the pump shoe because I didn't think it would be a problem since I never had any cavitation with the stock impeller. As for the impeller I used the billet nose cone that came with it.
    The shoe ABSOLUTELY needs to be sealed, if you want to eliminate cavitation on takeoff. What intake grate are you running? Whats the clearance between the impeller and the wear ring? Also, you're down on RPM...what mods are done to that motor? Sounds like it's 100% stock?

+1
    see if can borrow early gpr nozzle it's 87mm not 85 and see if better,but do seal pump shoe and hope your running some type of toploader intake grate

+1
    If you are stock, no mods...14/20 too much. 13/19 is the ticket. +1000 on sealing shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by smacota1 View Post
    If you are stock, no mods...14/20 too much. 13/19 is the ticket. +1000 on sealing shoe.
    he said he pitched it to a 13/19

Yes it has been pitched down to 13/19 by Impros. The ski is bone stock other than the impeller. No intake grate, no PPK, nothing. I liked the way it performed with the stock impeller and was hoping the solas DF would make it better. I will install a PPK and post back the results after that.

+1
    While you are installing the ppk put a good toploader in there to load the pump with.

Yes, it definately needs an intake grate. It hops way too much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information