1997 Polaris SLTX Problems

Ok guys, I got another SLTX and it has some issues.

First, it wont idle in the water... it idles on the trailer at about 2000 rpm but once in the water it won't... What is the in water idle speed? It also seems to run cooler on the rear cylinder sometimes too...

When you try to accelerate in the water it bogs real bad and you have to feather the throttle to get it going.... then all of the sudden it takes off like a scared cat. It has very good compression and the stator update.

Also today when i was riding it at wide open throttle i got it up to 50mph and it just shut down like someone hit the stop button... it did this a couple times, but would always start right back up. It would also do it when you are doing donuts at WOT. The low fuel light was coming on but would this cause it to just completely shut down like that?

So i got 2 main problems,

- Wont idle, boggs real bad when accelerating.
    - Dies at WOT for extended periods of time.

Please help, thank you.

Exact same thing happened to me with my SLT 750. My spark plug on PTO was bad. Changed that and it was fixed.. Also the fuel filter was bad. Simple things.

I'm thinking its more than that, it has 3 new plugs in it now. fuel filter is clean. Thank you tho

Banned User
    +1
    Did you rebuild the top end by chance? Could be a cold seizure from not enough piston to cylinder clearance. Idle speed should be around 1250

Yes the top end was rebuilt. all three cylinders were bored, oversize pistons were installed, the cylinders were bored to the spec of the new pistons.

Tonight i tore off all of the cylinder heads and i definetly dont think its seizing.

I have this ski idling at 1200 in water now, but when out of the water it's like 3000rpm.... is this normal?

Heres a picture of my piston wash.... center looks good, can't say the same for the others..... ski has updated stator and cdi, also the updated jetting 142,142,138.

Not sure why its running so rich on the other cylinders. What do you guys think?

Anyone know where I can find a genuine keihin rebuild kit??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polaris2.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	276566

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by taco157 View Post
    I have this ski idling at 1200 in water now, but when out of the water it's like 3000rpm.... is this normal?
    Yes, that's about normal.

Quote Originally Posted by taco157 View Post
    Heres a picture of my piston wash.... center looks good, can't say the same for the others..... ski has updated stator and cdi, also the updated jetting 142,142,138.

Not sure why its running so rich on the other cylinders. What do you guys think?

Anyone know where I can find a genuine keihin rebuild kit??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polaris2.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	276566
    What about Low Jet, Mid jet (if avail), Low screw adjuster setting and POP?
    Trim wires 1/4" at spark plug boots too, you may have weak or intermittent sparks.

Keihin kit is avail at www.watcon.com

How do you adjust the popoff pressure? just with new springs? if you order a new carb kit and it comes with springs, do they send you a bunch of different springs? I just dont understand why you check popoff pressure if theres only one spring available for each carb.....

+1
    Each carb kit comes with 2 or 3 different springs, checking POP is a way to make sure correct spring is installed and installed properly.
    If correct spring is used and POP is not in range then needle and seat need to be verified for proper size and inspected for wear/damage. Regulator arm height needs to be check as well, too high it opens seat too soon or just keeps it open, too low seat will be opened late.
    Usually same needle size and spring will have same POP. If not, although not recommended but in a pinch, you can cut 1/2 winding off the springs at a time till desired POP is attained.

There're quite few cases of piston blown after fresh carb rebuilt here just because of incorrect POP that never got checked. Something to think about.

Thread Information