Rxdi easy fix???

Hi, Looking at buying an 03 rxdi. The guy just had new pistons, rings, etc installed. when put all back together, supposedly starts right up but thats it. when hitting the throttle, NO response at all....Safe to assume just a linkage problem? What else could it be? The guy that rebuilt is supposedly not a mechanic, just an engine rebuilder..think he may have missed something...any ideas what I should look for? it an 03, decent shape, wants 1500 firm....Thanks!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    sounds like the tps is out. is the display flashing MAINT?

not sure if it flashed but it was on...if this is it, easy fix or big deal? thanks for reply!

out meaning broken, not reinstalled, or just out of adjustment?

+1
    I would guess the tps is actually out of comission, the tps tells the injection system how much gas the engine needs..if you crank the thottle open and nothing at all happens, the fi still thinks the throttle is closed. You need something that can:

1-read the error codes stored in the mpem
    2-reset the throttle position sensor to closed as far as the fi is concerned.

unless you are lucky..and I mean real lucky, you can't fix a di ski without some diagnostic tools

you'll want to check if the air compressor is working. If it isn't..you'll just dribble enough fuel in to idle the engine. Typical compressor failure is wet plugs or injector oil in the throttle body.

first step if to read the error codes..then you can apply a wrench from there.

thanks pete!....not sure if I'm gonna go for it or not..may wind up being a money pit, especially if everything needs to be done with computer...

+1
    as I mentioned in another thread..parting it out can be a moneymaker. 951 engine cases that are intact ( never welded) are in demand..as well as every electronic bit commands a good price ( price out some LED displays or a head with fuel injectors) You can buy a diagnostic system for $400 that does everything you need to tackle the problem.

I am assuming you;'ve verified that the thottle plate is actually moving when you open the thottle ( silly question, but it had to be asked) Since it's kinda screwed anywayy you could take the tps off the thottle body and manipulate it by hand to see if you can get some rpms out of it. also you'll want to check for fuel pressure...

lots of work for what I consider a medicore ski, that one uses a 4-tec hull if memory serves and its a bit underpowered and nose heavy for open water use some will say.

It's a big honkin two stroke. I remember back in the day suzuki came out with a 500cc two stroke twin motorcycle and everybody was freaked. I;'ve wrenched and ridden enough kawasaki 750 triples to know that they made a huge mistake not adapting that motor for a ski. I guess emissions requirements being what they are prevented that sort of move. The ultra 150 is pretty close to that power..but with much more displacement.

thanks again!..yes, something is moving on the throttle body..someone else told me if the throttle lever is snapping back, then its hooked up right...maybe i'll lowball him(if still available) then I could get my money back if it doesn't work out...i'll let you know if I wind up with it...

Thread Information