Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Temperamental 700 twin.....

SO I had a customer drop off a 98 polaris SLTH last week. Ski only does about 15 mph. Ok while he was there I gave it a quick look and noticed the low speed needle was just laying on the intake for the pto carb, ok seems simple right? Wrong.

Well it felt like it had some comp coming back out the mag intake sou I pulled reeds, mag one had a petal broken wedged in it. Replaced petals with a new set on both reed valves on both sides (all 4) and it starts and runs, but falls on it's face when you give it gas. Tinkered with the carbs a tad and set the low speed at 1 turn on th mag and 1 1/4 on the PTO. Still seems like it is getting over fueled as gas vapor mist comes out of each side about 3-5 inched out the tops of carbs.

Now a strange thing happened yesterday when I took it out to water test it......

Took it out and it was going about 15 mph like cust said, I started rocking the boat side to side and a little front to back and all of a sudden it hooked up and took of, ran good like no problems. Alright I thought and then it started doing it again. not wanting to go over 15 mph and like it had no power and then would not start , acted like flooded. Got a new set of plugs and it tried it and nothing crank and crank and crank, hooked up the 12v jumper box and it came alive again but still was doing the 15 mph thing.

Spark looks pretty weak on the new plugs, using bpr7es I believe.

Any help is MUCHO appreciated I normally don't touch these its sorta a favor.

Are any wires loose from the electrical box? What about the ground wire, is it burnt up? It sounds like a VERY weak connection from the electrical box. Pics please?

I thought the same thing, I wiggled some wires around and no change, but I was thinking the same thing. Thinking about just parting it out it has 130 in both jugs. Will take some pics when I get it back here. Thanks for the reply!

No problem! And yeah pictures would help GREATLY. I was thinking that if a customer brought it in and did not put the cover over the box it probably burned up the ground wire. If that's the case, I see wiring in your future.

Banned User
    +1
    Has the ignition update been done to it?

I do not think so. You think they will want to drop $400 in parts to fix a ski they got for $2000 and already sunk $500 into? I'm a better tech than salesman but if that was pitched to me I would LOL. She saw me take off and thinks its a short. It's gonna be tough to convince her too drop that coin I bet.

+1
    Any warning message or blinking red light on the display ?

Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    Any warning message or blinking red light on the display ?
    Display is dead does that mean anything?

Banned User
    +1
    Check the 1/4 amp fuse in the electric box that's for the display. That might be all it needs to make the display work. I would bet its a bad stator and needs the update kit. If they already have 2500 in it, wouldn't that be like throwing it all away if they won't fix it for another 400?

I will check the fuse on it when they bring it back. It does have the black cdi box doesn't that mean its a gen 3 and I can buy just the stator?

What about the jumper wire thing, could that be all it needs?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information