Is this a known problem with 08/09 RXT ??

I have a 2008 RXT-X and recently have had a potential issue brought to my attention. A friend who likes my ski is shopping for a used one and saw this on a listing:

"What you should know about 2008 and 2009 Sea Doo RXT/X is there is a flaw in the hull where the water is sucked into the pump. (tunnel) Alot of these machines are having hull failure issues in this area."

Is this a known problem and how would I learn more? I am not having any issues with my RXT-X, but my warranty expires in a couple of months. If there is something I should be getting serviced, it would be nice to know. Can any of you experts weigh in on this???

Thanks much!

+1
    Yes, it is a problem. The pump tunnels are weak and crack. Mine did it so has many others here.
    Dealers wont do anything till it actually cracks.
    Search for RXTX pump tunnel reinforcement and see how to fix it.

+1
    And your title is 08/09 RXT. The RXT's are fine it is just the RXTX's.

+1
    Yes many of us had 2008 RXT-X tunnel failures. Mine happened on the 3rd run at only 5 hours, almost sunk, got repaired by dealer then cracked worse with only 28 hours. You need to look for stress cracks all along the inside of the tunnel. The problem is that BRP reduced the weight of the ski about 80 pounds from 2007, and sprayed the tunnel with chopped fiberglass way too thin in that area. Not ALL 08 T-X's had this problem, but a long line of VIN numbers did. No one has a firm grip on what VIN numbers had this issue. BRP finally admitted the problem and many dealers paid to reinforce the tunnel, but NO RECALL, with is total BS!

There is a "how to reinforce the tunnel" thread in the the how to section. Bottom line is this, cut the top off of the pump tunnel, give it a lobotomy, take out foam, pour in resin / carbon fiber, then add 3-5 layers of carbon fiber / woven fiberglass over entire top of tunnel, down the sides of tunnel and overlap bottom of hull, all the way from the front of the tunnel to the transom / top of pump shoe. The left and right SIDE of the tunnel is VERY thin and subject to stress cracks! As you can see this is a major job!

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ons-and-photos.

If you do see stress cracks, place a bright light inside the hull, go underneath and look up at the cracks, if you see the light - you got a problem!

If you plan on keeping the ski - definitely reinforce the tunnel per the how to thread!

After 2 "blow outs", my dealer helped me get a 2010 RXT-X 260 at cost - best thing I ever did! NO issues with the S3 hull - it is awesome................

Good Luck

Thanks much for the info! I will inspect soon and see if I have any such cracks. My RXT-X is stock and I do not ride it very hard (bad back). I ride it fast, but rarely does it even come out of the water. If I don't see cracks (40 hours), can I assume this problem is a low probablilty for me?

I do indeed plan on keeping the ski, so I should likely consider reinforcing as you recommend. The process is a beyond my capability and I will need to pay someone to do it. Any recommendations on selecting someone to do this? Are Seadoo dealers trained at this point?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

+1
    Most dealers will farm out fiberglass repairs.

Thread Information