Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Shutting off WOT, running rough, MAINT & OIL Lights, weird issues.....

Sorry if this long story is a bit confusing but I can't help it because my day was a little confusing as far as the issues I'm having...

Ski.. 99 GSX Limited 951 ...new motor..silver 951 from Sea Doo (less than 10 hrs) new carbs, new fuel lines, new oil lines, new battery, new starter, etc..NO mods...
    I filled up gas (93 oct) & oil (seadoo synthetic xps) tanks as I normally do...started it on the hose before I left house...all good
    Dropped it in the water, started up, and the "low oil" light comes on..didn't think much of it because it was low before I filled it..shut it off, started again and the light didn't come on..all good...
    Ripped across the bay for about 5 min 3/4 throttle and wide open...all the sudden it shut off...waited a second, restarted it and it ran but would bog down as soon as I got on it...it ran ok at about 3500rpm...so I putted into the beach...pulled the plugs and they had some oil on them..changed them out with new ones and it ran good for about 5 min...the as soon as I hit WOT (wide open throttle) it shut down...so I putted back to the beach..I noticed my idle was low (1100 rpm) bumped it up to 1500 and started to ride again...it ran normal at about 3/4 throttle...didn't hit WOT again a all...cruised around, stopped and docked for lunch, cruised around and then out of no where the "low oil" light comes back on...WTF...starts beeping and flashing...I continue riding about 3/4 throttle...open it up a little more..it shut off....started up... putt back to the beach at about 3800 rpm..i check the oil level in the tank it was about 1/4 full...wich is also the fastest I have gone thru that much oil wich seemed a little weird to me because I hadent done that much ridding...so I filled it up with oil, started it up and the "MAINT" light comes on and it's now running like crap...just sounds and feels like it's missing or breaking up or something weird..defiantly not right..just feels like it's running very rough, dosent feel like it has power, figured the best idea would be to shut it down and bring it home before it blew up or something bad...
    Got home and it started right up, thankfully it ran on the hose for a few minutes so I could flush the salt water out ....now when I put the key in it flashes "MAINT" but then cranks over and stays running....WTF ?
    Can annyone suggest what I should be looking into or checking? Or do I have to bring it to the dealer to put om their computer or something?

+1
    Also is there a way to see if the ski is throwing codes without taking to the dealers system?

+1
    Wow, no body?

+1
    do a compression check, I would also check the rave valves to make sure their not gummed up.

+1
    Gonna go get a compression gauge this week and check that...
    Also thought of checking raves...do I need new gaskets or o rings when I do that to put back on or can I clean them up and use old gaskets and o ring?
    Also should I check the 2 on top of motor or all 3? the 3rd being the one on the water box..
    I really can't see any of this being wrong tho so that's why I was looking for any other suggestions ...the compression was good when I put brand new OEM motor in less than 10 hrs ago..and I wouldn't thing the raves would get that dirty that fast...maybe I'm wrong?

+1
    Just the two on the motor, you shouldn't have a problem reusing the gaskets. I'm kinda just guessing at this point.

+1
    I'll upload pics in a few..one plug looks good (front cyl) the other is wet and gooey
    The front cyl is reading a constant 150psi
    The rear cyl is reading a constant 100psi

I put a little bit of oil in the plug hole, and then it showed 150psi twice, then constantly down to 100psi

So now my question is what's my next step? ...pull the head ? Can you see damage in cyl? Is there a way to see if it's a bad ring without pulling motor, crank, etc..?
    Could it be one carb is running smooth and the other too rich?
    Would it have anything to do with the raves? I don't know much about them, besides I can't see them being too gum,ed up as they are brand new with the motor and I have 6 hours on this oem motor wi only sea doo xps synthetic oil ran thru it...about 2 1/2 gallons so far I believe..

Any help much appreciated, thanks!

+1
    (front cyl)

(rear cyl)

+1
    50psi difference on both cylinders means you have to take of the head and check your pistons/sleeves and cylinders,the rear plugs have metal particles as i see it..

+1
    Will I be able to visually see by just removing head? What am I looking for?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information