1100 triple power loss

had my venture out this weekend running good(finally) until it started to loose power, felt like it was bogging due to lack of fuel.
    ski has a primer and you can sqiurt fuel into the carbs all day and still have no power.
    got it back to the ramp, as its idling it would get a pretty violent shake/misfire and then spin backwards. had to shut it down and start it back up to get the engine to turn the right way.- happened twice before i got it on the trailer

im thinking sheered keyway at the flywheel throwing timing way out.

got it on the trailer and now i cant even get it to run

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by score602 View Post
    had my venture out this weekend running good(finally) until it started to loose power, felt like it was bogging due to lack of fuel.
    ski has a primer and you can sqiurt fuel into the carbs all day and still have no power.
    got it back to the ramp, as its idling it would get a pretty violent shake/misfire and then spin backwards. had to shut it down and start it back up to get the engine to turn the right way.- happened twice before i got it on the trailer

im thinking sheered keyway at the flywheel throwing timing way out.

got it on the trailer and now i cant even get it to run
    gotta start with the basics: fuel, compression, and spark. Check the spark first. Then make sure it's getting fuel. Have the carbs ever been rebuilt? Does it have the old grey fuel lines?

yea checked all the basics, good compression(motor only has 10 hours on it), getting fuel, carbs are fresh with mikuni rebuilt kits, changed the plugs just in case they were fouled,(they werent)

all new fuel lines and filters when i put the new motor in.

thinking back about a month ago a friend of mine was riding the ski and sucked up what seemed to be a handle to a tow rope for like a water skier, it was foam covered aluminum and half of it wedged itself in the housing pretty good, the other half got chewed up and went through the jet.

anyway i was thinking that from the shock it damaged the flywheel.

i pulled the motor and the flywheel does look a bit damaged, i couldnt get it off due to lack of hardware for the flywheel puller. they woodruff key looked abnormal also

will follow up tomorow

+1
    seems like you have found the problem. post some pictures !!!

thinking now that the issue is in the cdi, i read that the vibrations from the engine damage the internals of the unit, is there a way to test the cdi?

has anyone used a 1200 setup with the electrical box moved to the firewall?

im thinking about this just for ease of repair if a coil goes bad or starter solenoid

Thread Information