Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Newbie with gp1200r rebuild questions

Ok guys so stay with me cuz this is my first watertoy.

I just bought a gp1200r that's going to need some love.
    The head is off and it will need a piston/jug/head for sure. The middle cylinder is TOAST. It only has about 50 hours on it since 2001. Original hours/motor.

What is the best aftermarket options for what Im looking for?
    I've heard pro-x is good but other then that I'm not sure what to look for.

My plans are to get atleast one new jug and three new pistons and a new head.

I haven't taken the jug off so there might be other damage on the bottom end I'm boy aware of but I will know tomorrow.

I'm also planing on getting a set of waveeater clips (?) to make sure the power valves don't slap the piston

So what places do you guys recomend? I'm kinda worried about finding a good replacement cylinder? Or buy new?

Thanks guys!!

+1
    Make sure the pistons you get match the jugs you put them in.

+1
    If it only has 50 hours on it, it makes no sense to replace the other two pistons. They should be in very good shape, unless you see something that we don't.

You could have your bad jug repaired and renicasiled. Just buy a new piston to match your cylinder and send them both off. http://www.mt-llc.com/Watercraft/watercraft1.html This is where I sent mine years ago and was 100% satisfied.

It is also possible to have your head milled and the domes cleaned up.

Or you could go to the greenhulk classifieds.

What it comes down to is that you can invest X amount of dollars to put your boat back to stock, or you might invest even less than or about the same amount than X dollars to have a much snappier boat just by reconditioning you stock components. It is worth looking into.

So I got the jug off and it's a little worse then I thought.
    The piston had shredds everywhere by the crank.

So I guess I have to pull the motor all the way out and clean up everything and check the rods and crank for damage.

At this point I'm not really sure what steps to take. If I should buy a new motor or rebuild or just part out the ski. I just don't wanna go broke beating a dead horse.

Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    You could have your bad jug repaired and renicasiled. Just buy a new piston to match your cylinder and send them both off. http://www.mt-llc.com/Watercraft/watercraft1.html This is where I sent mine years ago and was 100% satisfied.
    Is it really neccesary to buy a piston first and send them both? Do you still go by the stamping# on the cylinder?

that looks really bad, you probably need more than pistons and a bore. The top end of the rod has probably been really hot and the lower bearings are probably questionable

+1
    Ah, yes, the ever-popular fix it or part it out question.
    Do you have more time than money? Fix it.
    If you have more money than time, buy another ski & part this one out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Luv2Gofast View Post
    Is it really neccesary to buy a piston first and send them both? Do you still go by the stamping# on the cylinder?
    No it is not. They are going to match what ever you send.

But what if you have to replace the piston that you matched for the renic job? Will you remember which one it is? For the purposes of your own records, it is easy to send the "right" one. In this way, you can use the original cast # as a point of reference to get a second piston if you ever need it.

There are some that would argue that the size differences between the pistons are so small, that they are within spec and can be used in different size cylinders. Me, I like to keep things as even as possible.

Klyemm1002, you would be surprised at what they can do with a bad cylinder

Quote Originally Posted by toyterrific View Post
    Ah, yes, the ever-popular fix it or part it out question.
    Do you have more time than money? Fix it.
    If you have more money than time, buy another ski & part this one out.
    Way more time then money!!!!
    I am just going to take my time with it and tear it all the way down and see where I stand.
    I'm probably just going to do a full rebuild instead of buying a new motor, but I will def have to do some searching around here to get all the info I need!

Already learned a ton from reading other threads!
    It will be a slow moving project I think it will be fun when all said and done!

holy crap! any idea if it was an oil starvation issue or did something else tear it up?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information