Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

2000 GP800: bouncy bouncy!

Took her out for the first time, needless to say it was bouncy as sh1t ! Still fun lol, but I want to calm her down some.

I have read people install 97-98 GP1200 plates. Should I do that, or just try shimming the stocker? Also, when installing washers, do they go in between the hull and the ride plate? Can someone take pictures of their shimmed ride plate ?? THANKS!

+1
    2 things seems to help porpoising on the GP hulls. Rideplates and keeping the pump hooked up.
    the 97 plate is the long plate and the one you'd want. Or an aftermarket plate like the [email protected] proseries. Then you try shimming it.
    You could also try a scoop style intake grate to help keep the pump hooked up. Every hull/engine combo is a little different, but thats a good place to start.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    2 things seems to help porpoising on the GP hulls. Rideplates and keeping the pump hooked up.
    the 97 plate is the long plate and the one you'd want. Or an aftermarket plate like the [email protected] proseries. Then you try shimming it.
    You could also try a scoop style intake grate to help keep the pump hooked up. Every hull/engine combo is a little different, but thats a good place to start.
    Does it have to be a 97 GP1200 plate, or can it be a 1200 XL or 1200 GPR ? Where exactly do you install the washers?

+1
    Has to be a '97 GP1200 ride plate. The XL and GPR hulls are different and the ride plates don't bolt up.
    The washers go between the plate and the hull. Typically you'd shim the 2 rear bolts which lowers the rear of the ride plate down. That forces the bow of the ski down into the water. So, yes, it'll plow through the water a little bit more...which will scrub some top speed mph off.
    Other thing to consider is that if you start shimming too much, you'll have to make sure the bolts are long enough to get enough threads in the inserts.
    My GP1200 porpoised badly when it was all stock and with a dinged up/bent up impeller. I've replaced the impeller (checked the clearance) and installed a R&D Pro Series ride plate, R&D aquavein grate, and riva sponsons. It rides WAY better now. Its pretty much glued to the water. But I'm not sure what made the biggest difference, since I did it all at once.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Has to be a '97 GP1200 ride plate. The XL and GPR hulls are different and the ride plates don't bolt up.
    The washers go between the plate and the hull. Typically you'd shim the 2 rear bolts which lowers the rear of the ride plate down. That forces the bow of the ski down into the water. So, yes, it'll plow through the water a little bit more...which will scrub some top speed mph off.
    Other thing to consider is that if you start shimming too much, you'll have to make sure the bolts are long enough to get enough threads in the inserts.
    My GP1200 porpoised badly when it was all stock and with a dinged up/bent up impeller. I've replaced the impeller (checked the clearance) and installed a R&D Pro Series ride plate, R&D aquavein grate, and riva sponsons. It rides WAY better now. Its pretty much glued to the water. But I'm not sure what made the biggest difference, since I did it all at once.
    Ok, I measured my current plate, and it's 10.75" long...I think I already have a 97 GP1200 plate...does that sound right? I remember the previous owner saying something about replacing the plate.

So I can just use Stainless steel washers that fit the bolts? I'm thinking about adding two washers on each rear bolt.

One more thing....which adjustment on the sponsons will reduce bouncing? Right now they are set all the way down, from the rear part of the sponson.

just asking as i'm confused to just what pumps in this??? .. does the 2000 gp 800 use the older pump and plate set up as the original GP or is it the 1200r pump unit??
    concerned that this is the newer pump unit, as such, set up is different .. got a picture???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by w/rpm500 View Post
    just asking as i'm confused to just what pumps in this??? .. does the 2000 gp 800 use the older pump and plate set up as the original GP or is it the 1200r pump unit??
    concerned that this is the newer pump unit, as such, set up is different .. got a picture???
    hmmm not sure, the hull date shows 99, but title says it's a 2000. I can post pics soon. I believe the previous owner swapped out the plate already....it's almost 11"

+1
    cutlass, how long is your 97 gp plate?

if its the older pump (gp) then, unless you have big hp like the 1200 (scotty....!! lol), you can shim the plate down to drive the nose in.. this will stop the bounce.. new and long stainless bolts in the rear are needed along with about a 3/8 stack of washers to start with at the back..I also put one in front to level the front lip with the pump surface (lookin for smooth transition)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by w/rpm500 View Post
    According to the research I did, it looks like the 2000 GP800 and the GP760 kept the older GP hull design/pump design. After that the 760 was dropped and the GP800 moved to the GPR hull design.

Quote Originally Posted by slothman View Post
    cutlass, how long is your 97 gp plate?
    My OEM '97 GP1200 plate is about 10.5" and the R&D plate is about 10"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information