Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

97 waveventure 760 engine help!!

So here is my story.. I have a 97 yamaha waveventure 760 i bought used, used it for about 30 minutes until it started overheating and going into limp mode. I felt the motor when it claimed to be overheating and it didn't feel hot so me being the genius i am unhooked the temperature sensor and took it for a ride and seized one piston. When i try to turn by hand one piston moves the other doesn't. After it seized it occurred to me that the smoke and heat meant a bad headgasket Im assuming. This is my first jet ski so Im working on learning to work on it, i work on cars all the time so i am familiar with this style of work. What can i do to get going? Would a top end kit with piston and all help my situation? What are diagnostic steps to figure exactly what's wrong? Need this running asap.

Really? No help out there? I heard good reviews on this site and was hoping someone could help me out, kinda starting to have my doubts here.

+1
    better pull the engine and inspect everything. Might need more than a top end.

Are these engine pretty easy to pull? Would I get it out through the hole that the seat covers?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by vitalka89 View Post
    Are these engine pretty easy to pull? Would I get it out through the hole that the seat covers?
    if you are somewhat mechincally inclined, you could pull it no problem. this might be your best bet: http://www.shopsbt.com/jetski/40-403.html

Yeah I have had car engines in and out so I can can do it, just never worked on anything that rides in water. I saw that but that's more than I can afford to spend now. I was hoping I could pick up an engine for around $500. Guess gotta keep my fingers crossed that's it's nothing to crazy that a rebuild kit wont be able to fix.

+1
    Yeah I have had car engines in and out so I can can do it, just never worked on anything that rides in water. I saw that but that's more than I can afford to spend now. I was hoping I could pick up an engine for around $500. Guess gotta keep my fingers crossed that's it's nothing to crazy that a rebuild kit wont be able to fix.
    Well, you have to find the main cause of the meltdown. Otherwise you will rebuild it and have another ruined engine after the first run. I would check the oil injection system and the carbs. If you see signs of detonation you know it starved for fuel.

Does it help anything to say it was claiming to overheat before but when I touched the actual engine it wasn't hot whatsoever so, the genius that I am, unplugged the temp sensor to see if it would run better and that's when it slowly died and wouldn't start/turn anymore. I took the head (valve cover? part that spark plugs screw into) off and turned the motor by hand to learn that the front piston wouldn't move. There were couple drops of water on the piston, the rear piston still moves, but stops when it get to the certain point, guessing where the front piston should've moved. There was a little piece of something melted onto the head but there are no parts of the piston or cylinder sleeve busted off or anything so not sure where that came from. I was also getting quite a bit of water in the hull under the engine, both pumps worked, it was spraying like it should from the back and from the side. My assumption is that the head gasket had gone out (this from my experience in cars), it smoked a bit when driving and it was overheating (2 signs of blown headgasket on a car), could this be where water would get in, though a bad gasket? Assuming jet ski engine is the same concept.

Really? No help out there? I heard good reviews on this site and was hoping someone could help me out, kinda starting to have my doubts here.
    your ski is old school ..there is a section dedicated to old school on green hulk and learked by old school riders every day (i never saw this post) .usually our moderators transfer the post and involved threads accordingly ..sorry for the delay on their part...

im thinking you were getting cooling water in, enough to cool the block n out the pisser , yet not enough going out thru the exhaust system ..
    your metal is prob from over heating a cylinder , expanding a ring to the point of catching a port ,it then breaking off and inbedding into the head..
    do you ride in salt conditions? shells ingested will clog passages and feeder hoses including pump intakes...

dought it was initally a gasket but inspect it close..you will get water out of a head leaking into a cylinder at teardown..

time to tear it all the way down and see whats what ..

So I got the engine taken apart and here is what I came up with. Let me know what you think and some options.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0610.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	248074Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0613.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	248075Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0606.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	248076Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0614.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	248077Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0615.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	248078Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0608.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	248079Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0611.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	248080

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information