What's that big black box on top of the gas tank? 08 RXP 215

I was going over my ski this evening and checking for lose bolts and what-knot and noticed that big black box directly on top of the gas tank I could lift it up and wiggle it. Is this normal? If not, what normally holds it in place? Bolts or strap? I couldn't even see where any bolts would go? I also didn't see a loose strap floating around inside the hull either?

+1
    If its off to the starboard side that is our air box.

Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    If its off to the starboard side that is our air box.
    Yes, that's it. Is it supposed to be a little loose and move a little freely up and down?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post
    Yes, that's it. Is it supposed to be a little loose and move a little freely up and down?
    There should be two straps holding it down. If not find them and put them back.

+1
    The 2 straps that hold the gas tank down, should also go over that box. It may want move around a little, even strapped down.

Oh ok, I'll check it out tomorrow after work when it's daylight - there was no straps that went over the "top" of it that I can recall, do they hook 'underneath' the air box or definitely go over the top? Wonder if I'm riding the ski too hard, heh.

Ok, my curiosity wasn't going to let me sleep if I didn't check it out tonight, lol. Straps are both on and secure. These forums just have me super paranoid since I see a lot of talk about how bad Seadoo's are and how everyone was trying to steer me into getting a Yamaha over the RXP so I'm very meticulous about going over everything I can get to and making sure everything is tight and secure. Bolts, clamps, cables, etc..etc.. Some might say it's being a little overzealous, but I even check the oil every single ride. I don't care if I only ride an hour I still check it. I'm at exactly a picture-perfect trouble free 50hrs so far....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post
    Ok, my curiosity wasn't going to let me sleep if I didn't check it out tonight, lol. Straps are both on and secure. These forums just have me super paranoid since I see a lot of talk about how bad Seadoo's are and how everyone was trying to steer me into getting a Yamaha over the RXP so I'm very meticulous about going over everything I can get to and making sure everything is tight and secure. Bolts, clamps, cables, etc..etc.. Some might say it's being a little overzealous, but I even check the oil every single ride. I don't care if I only ride an hour I still check it. I'm at exactly a picture-perfect trouble free 50hrs so far....
    As Troy stated earlier, it is normal to move around a little even strapped down. You're good to go. Stop worrying you are good to go. As I have said before, confidence in your craft is something you cannot buy....

Thread Information