PPU Sensor/Throttle Cable Sensor/ Please Help

I have a 2004 MSX turbo... that I think was stuck in reverse mode, after magnetizing the reverse reed switch.... and starting up, the ski revved up to around 7000-8000 rpm without even touching the trottle.(0ut of water). I immediately shut it off and took my other ski out for a ride.... when I returned to my trailor.. I had the ski back in the water, and wanted to start it again to see what it would do.... I started ski in the water and took her out for a spin... she ran great for about 5min... then my battery light came on...(new battery) I was with some other MSX riders and they took a look at it and stated the starter solenoid must not be working properly... I then went to fire it up the next day and the ski revved up to around 8000 rpm without even touching the throttle... then immediately I hit the kill switch shut it off... tried it again and the battery was completely dead... not sure what my problems are! any help would be appreciated..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gdavis View Post
    I have a 2004 MSX turbo... that I think was stuck in reverse mode, after magnetizing the reverse reed switch.... and starting up, the ski revved up to around 7000-8000 rpm without even touching the trottle.(0ut of water). I immediately shut it off and took my other ski out for a ride.... when I returned to my trailor.. I had the ski back in the water, and wanted to start it again to see what it would do.... I started ski in the water and took her out for a spin... she ran great for about 5min... then my battery light came on...(new battery) I was with some other MSX riders and they took a look at it and stated the starter solenoid must not be working properly... I then went to fire it up the next day and the ski revved up to around 8000 rpm without even touching the throttle... then immediately I hit the kill switch shut it off... tried it again and the battery was completely dead... not sure what my problems are! any help would be appreciated..
    Did you put a volt meter on the battery to determine it was dead?? I would be curious to see the number, as when I was messing with the connection on your starter solenoid it was a mess of goop in there. If you have no contact via starter button then the battery will appear dead, no click no nothing.

You don't live that far from me, bring the thing over to the shop, and we will go through it together and see if we can shake down the problem. If we can't figure it out on our own, we will post up here and I am sure the MSX Gods of the Greenhulk will smile down upon us and enlighten us.

I am not certian but I think on the MSX you have to start it in reverse when its out of the water to prevent the rev??? Anyone?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofalltrades View Post
    I am not certian but I think on the MSX you have to start it in reverse when its out of the water to prevent the rev??? Anyone?
    You are correct. You have to start them up in reverse.

Thanks for the help... would starting it in forward cause it to rev up like that ( uncontrollably)... that makes sense though. When I had it in the water, ready to take it off the trailor.. I had it in reverse and that is when it fired right up... when I have had it out of the water and in the forward position it has always revved up without touching the throttle... what is reason behind having to start the ski up in reverse rather than forward....

msx150 starting and revving when out of water

Quote Originally Posted by gdavis View Post
    Thanks for the help... would starting it in forward cause it to rev up like that ( uncontrollably)... that makes sense though. When I had it in the water, ready to take it off the trailor.. I had it in reverse and that is when it fired right up... when I have had it out of the water and in the forward position it has always revved up without touching the throttle... what is reason behind having to start the ski up in reverse rather than forward....
    is the msx u guys are talking about a 150 4 Stroke? im working on a friends and after re-securing the large rubber plenum at the front of the motor the ski revs out of control on trailer. i dont recall the second ski on same trailer acting this way out of water. thanks for any input it is greatly appreciated

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by chapdaddy View Post
    is the msx u guys are talking about a 150 4 Stroke? im working on a friends and after re-securing the large rubber plenum at the front of the motor the ski revs out of control on trailer. i dont recall the second ski on same trailer acting this way out of water. thanks for any input it is greatly appreciated
    Yes, start the ski in reverse on the trailer in the water, then put it in forward position, it will settle right down.. the guys on here tried to tell me to do that, I was way skeptical about it, it worked. Something about no load it will go for the rev limiter, load it up and it behaves. Always start out of the water in reverse, hits the reverse rev limiter.

Thread Information