OP ride plate and R&D 750 grate installed on 2000 SLX

I recently bought 2 2000 SLX's the lake we have a house on is large and can get choppy on smooth water they were great but a handfull in the choppy water. After reading and searching here it was suggested that the OP ride plate would help so we ordered up a couple and I was able to find a couple intake grates on EBay that I thought were R&D 650's one of then was more aggressive and turned pout to be a 750, no big deal. The plate did not fit exactly right the holes needed to be enlarges a bit but after that all was well. I only installed on one ski to be able to compare. The first ride was great ski felt way more solid and controlled, did not feel as nimble or fast definitly felt slower through the middle. THis is the part where having two was great, the 2 skis were very evenly matched before. Now the modded ski is ever so slightly slower but if it gets a good jump in a race the other has a hard time pasing it. The improved handling, stability and rough water ability, along with that glued down feeling was more than a great trade for the small amount of speed. All in all a great mod for me.
    Thanks greenhulk!
    Mike

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Thanks for the opinion and comparison.

What intake grate was installed? The 650 or 750?

Did you get the OP "O" plate or the "R" version?

+1
    yeah i liked the op plate on my 01 it lost some speed but did not porpuse "SP" as bad

Banned User
    +1
    At some point here I will be doing a comparison between the OP O version and the R version since I have both here. I will report back with the results

I used the longer ocean plate and the 750 grate. Going to do the other one soon with the 650 grate and the same plate
    Mike

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Makes sense then.

The O plate is supposed to scrub a few MPH off the top as well as the 750 intake grate.

So, you prob did lose a little up top, but gained on the bottom and rough water handling improved. (which is exactly what you reported if I remember you posting)

The differece is very small side by side where there were dead even before the ski with the plate/grate is still very very close maybe 1 sled off, I can live with that considering how much bettter everything else is.
    Mike

Thread Information