Thread: intake grate

+1

intake grate

Got 1 2000 GP1200r whick grate would be better for ruff water hookup, single bar or double bar, I current have a r&d double bar, but seem to come unhook, boat currently running stage 2 with pump plug, HO pump turning 14/20, 5200 sealed... also running a r&d speed plate.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed796 View Post
    .......... whick grate would be better for ruff water hookup, single bar or double bar, I current have a r&d double bar, ... also running a r&d speed plate.
    The 1200 double bar is the best "overall", but many have commented that the WORX is a better "pure" rough water riding grate.

What is working against you is that speed plate and the thrust nozzle itself. The 5 degree nozzle and speed plate are trying to lift your bow, which means your boat is jumping waves from time to time. You cannot make power if you are in the air. You need a nozzle and plate to work to keep that bow down so that the hull stays hooked up. The GPR hull was designed to slice through the waves, but with the 5 degree and speed plate, you are trying to ride on top of them.

You have a big loss in top speed in smooth water with a 3 degree nozzle and a shimmed speed plate (.100 thousandts). You have a much improved ride in rough water with an overall speed increase as well as handling improvement with less fatigue with this same set up in rough water. Rough water is defined as anything over 2 foot chop.

+1
    I ride in the ocean 90 percent of the time, so what u recommend for ruff water? my pump comes unhook all the time even in small chop... I just want to stay hook...

+1
    Get into the greenhulk classifieds and request a 3 degree nozzle from an XL or an XLT. Fifty bucks or less is a good price. What you are looking for is someone who owns a three seater, bought a 5 degree to help lift the 3 seater out of the water, and is now looking to get rid of their stock 3 degree nozzle. It is a direct bolt on.... no modifications to make it fit at all.

I've hauled my GPR from Texas to Long Beach 4 times now to ride to Catalina. I understand your water. It is not even close to the choppy Texas coast water that I normally ride, but I would not even dream of riding with a 5 degree in the afternoon chop that you ride in.

Don't forget to put a couple of washers (each) on your back bolts between the hull and plate.

Does a stock Gpr come with a 5 degree or is that part of the stage 2?

+1
    Mine came stock with the 5 degree, thank salty, posted a ad for a 3 degree exit nozzle and a worx grate already, did u ever go on the catalina island salty? It really nice, I do a lot of fishing around the island. Been on there a few time..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Luv2Gofast View Post
    Does a stock Gpr come with a 5 degree or is that part of the stage 2?

Yes it comes stock with the 5 degree.

I've been to Catalina 4 times on my GPR. I did not know there was any other way to go!!!!

Just kidding. Last time I went was last year. We chased one of the express Ferrys and spent a lot of time jumping its wake till my Nephew spotted some whales. He took some time to watch so we stayed with him.

+1
    There is a whole bunch of blue whale currently out there in long beach right now. Planning on taking my ski out this weekend and go whale watching with a couple of buddies. Hey if ever come down here again hit me up ill go out and ride with you, always looking for more rider...

Thread Information