2002 XLT1200 Cylinder Casting Numbers?

Anyone know the casting numbers for a 2002 XLT 1200? I'm trying to order one from millenium and she asked for this. The cylinder is an hour away so I just wondered if anyone knew.

+1
    Look at the top of your cylinder down into the cylinder. If the center of the power valve were the 6:00 position, then the cast number would be at about 5:00.

It is not so important that you get the exact cast match for your craft. It is important that what ever cast # you get has a matching piston to go with it. For instance if they send you a #15 and you had a #10, it is important that the piston that you have will match with a #15.

Make sure to specify that it is for a 1200 and not an 800.

Salty,

My cylinders are stamped number 10. One is being honed today and I will find out if it needs replated. I'm looking at putting pro-x pistons in all 3. Here is what I found while searching for Pro-X pistons. "Cylinder #6-10 - B-piston (orange) Bore: 79.91 - Part # 01.2518.B." Should I order three of these and send one along with my cylinder thats may need replated?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Diznasty View Post
    Salty,

My cylinders are stamped number 10. One is being honed today and I will find out if it needs replated. I'm looking at putting pro-x pistons in all 3. Here is what I found while searching for Pro-X pistons. "Cylinder #6-10 - B-piston (orange) Bore: 79.91 - Part # 01.2518.B." Should I order three of these and send one along with my cylinder thats may need replated?

You should send the "B" piston with your cylinder, and as far as the other two cylinders, just match the cylinders with what ever piston they call for. If they are all #10, then it is just easier for you to remember.

If you have low hours on your boat though, I would not replace the other two pistons. The nicasil cylinders have a low drag coeficient. Loosely translated, the rings last a lot longer because the cylinders are so much smoother, and many stock engines have been reported to last 2-300 hours. The nicasil is so hard, it takes about 10 hours of riding time for the rings to seat. I'll bet that if you check your two good cylinders that you will see most of the cross hatching still there.

My opinion is that if you have OEM Yamaha's across the board on your engine, then just replace the one with another OEM along with new rings, upper bearing, lower base gasket, and consider yourself lucky. Leave the other two cylinders alone

Thanks man. The shop called me over lunch and said the cylinder honed out just fine. There is one small nick but its low enough where it won't tear up the rings. I'm just going OEM with this one since its my girls ski.

Any ideas where I can find a good gasket set?

+1
    Chalk one up for those hard nicasil cylinders!

You can reuse the head gasket a few times, but IMHO, you should really get a base gasket. Local Yamaha shops ought to have those. I've seen a couple of guys use sealant with a used base gasket, but in both cases it was in a pinch (during race time).

Remember that it takes a long time for the rings to seat, so do not expect your compression to match the other two cylinders for a while.

Thread Information