Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Trim paint options??

I would like to paint the trim/bumpers/grab handle and handlebar foam on my SL650, without spending a whole lot...
    I know Kyrlon Fusions works great on plastic, but saw under the painting sticky, some have said it does not hold up..
    Now I am not looking for a professional job, just something to get rid of this purple all over the ski...
    Any other paint suggestions??
    Thanks!

Banned User
    +1
    I used the fusion and it worked ok. It will chip off if you bump something hard enough. I found some Duplicolor bumper and trim paint at the auto parts store that I bet would work better. By thte way, the Duplicolor vinyl and fabric works great on the seat and handlebar pad.

I will definetly be doing the handlebar pad and seat, just not sure what color I want to do yet..
    My main goal is to keep the hull white, because its in good shape, I may paint the hood down the road, but for now I would like to keep it red.
    After seeing your ski, I think I like the white and red with black trim.

Banned User
    +1
    The other thing with the fusion....it does not hold up to gas. If you paint the front bumper be very careful not to spill any gas on it. I cover it with a rag when filling the tank. If you go for a red handlebar pad and a red seat, the purple actually looks ok. The only reason I painted mine was the rails I had were really beat up and faded, so they needed something done. Or you could get a set of red bumpers from a 95 SL 750

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    The other thing with the fusion....it does not hold up to gas. If you paint the front bumper be very careful not to spill any gas on it. I cover it with a rag when filling the tank. If you go for a red handlebar pad and a red seat, the purple actually looks ok. The only reason I painted mine was the rails I had were really beat up and faded, so they needed something done. Or you could get a set of red bumpers from a 95 SL 750
    Yeah I saw that about the fusions, but I will just need to be careful with it. Is your hood, the factory polaris red? It looks like it matches the seat and bar pad well.
    I am just going to try the satin black fusions with a couple coats of satin clear, and if it starts to crack off, I will just mess with it next year, I am just trying to get it looking decent and ready for a week trip to Lake Norman NC!

Banned User
    +1
    My hood is painted with base/clear from a car I used to have. Its a very close match to the Red on it from Polaris. The hood was in such bad shape when I got it I had to paint it. Thats what it looked like when I got it. When I put the nose piece back on I used stainless flathead bolts with finish washers and locknuts. I can have it off in about 2 minutes. I just repainted it last week. The bolts made it very easy to remove.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0464.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	248115

Well I finally got the Duplicolor adhesion promotor, paint prep pad and 1 can of the vinyl paint.
    Only one auto parts store/marine store around here carries it!
    Well everything was going good on the first coat, then the can started spraying blotchy and dripping all over, so I went to stop and the pin on the top of the can was stuck open, took it up and luckily they had one more can, well I got about 4 good thin coats and the can ran out.. I think it needs another 1-2 coats as its covered, but doesn't seem consistant yet. Well no place seems to have any so I have to wait til tomorrow to get one more can that I ordered in.
    Is it okay to let it dry completely like that and go over it again?

Quote Originally Posted by Bmrrwolfe View Post
    Well I finally got the Duplicolor adhesion promotor, paint prep pad and 1 can of the vinyl paint.
    Only one auto parts store/marine store around here carries it!
    Well everything was going good on the first coat, then the can started spraying blotchy and dripping all over, so I went to stop and the pin on the top of the can was stuck open, took it up and luckily they had one more can, well I got about 4 good thin coats and the can ran out.. I think it needs another 1-2 coats as its covered, but doesn't seem consistant yet. Well no place seems to have any so I have to wait til tomorrow to get one more can that I ordered in.
    Is it okay to let it dry completely like that and go over it again?

Yea. Pics please?

Banned User
    +1
    Read the instructions on the can. It will give you the recoat windows.

Can is very vague without any instructions except to hold can 6-10" away and apply in light coats waiting until paint is tacky between coats, without anything about recoating.
    So tomorrow after work I will risk it and apply 3 or so more coats (shouldn't be a problem) and do the handlbar pad as well.

Here are a few pics:
    Before:

After:

Looks really orange, but its not just the lack of light and the flash from the phone...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information