Thread: SXR 800 fogging

SXR 800 fogging

Ok, so this is my first ski and when I bought it I was told that I should fog it after every use since I am riding in salt water, my questing is where if the port that I spray the fogging oil into? One person told me to spray the fogging oil into the openings in the flame arrester, but that doesn't seem right

I have not heard of this practice. All I do is hook up the hose and run it for a bit after riding it. I ride in a mix between salt and fresh (kind of a brackish). I do put some oil in the cylinders when winterizing it or if i don't plan on riding it for a while if this is what you mean by fogging. I just dump about a teaspoon or so into each spark plug hole and turn the engine over to get everything coated. That's all I can tell you about it.

Quote Originally Posted by bsimms89 View Post
    my questing is where if the port that I spray the fogging oil into? One person told me to spray the fogging oil into the openings in the flame arrester, but that doesn't seem right
    Exactly, that is NOT right for 2 reasons (if you have factory stock intake).
    1. Flame arrestor mesh plates would block most of the fogging oil, unless they are removed.
    2. Throttle butterfly plates are all closed, again blocking the fogging oil, unless you open the throttle wide open.
    End result is that fogging oil will not reach into the combustion chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangfury View Post
    I have not heard of this practice.
    I just dump about a teaspoon or so into each spark plug hole and turn the engine over
    You have not heard but you are doing it (the right way)!

Fogging engine after salt riding and before storing is good . The fogging oil has anticorrosive properties that can not be beaten . Fogging oil will not foul a spark plug , unlike that splash of motor oil will . It can even be used as a starting fluid . Yamaha sells it and recommends it .Being a liquid spray , it will run down through the flame arrestor screens , and if you look at a lot of yamaha 2 stroke air boxs you will see a fogging port on top . I pull off my k&n the filters and spray it down the arbs after flushing and run it for 15 seconds while spraying , until the ski stalls . Next time you crank it , the ski will smoke out the neighbors and after riding for half it minute it's gone .

I see that some 4 strokes have fogging oil connectors which allow you to spray the fogging oil in without taking off the flame arrestor. Is there any such system for the sxr?

It is a PITA to unbolt the flame arrestor each time to fog the engine.

Pull one (or both) of the rubber trumpets out and just spray into the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Shogun of Harlem View Post
    Pull one (or both) of the rubber trumpets out and just spray into the hole.
    Won't that just clog up the filter screens or the oil won't get to the carbs that easy?

Thread Information