Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: octain boost

octain boost

Has anyone used octain boost? If so was their any difference in performance. I was thinking about using it in a stock GP1200R with d plate and premix. Any good or bad results or vaorite brands please post. Thanks

I would have to say octane boost in a 2 stroke would be a bad idea.. The solvents in the octane boost would probably dilute the oil and would be hard on moving parts.. Not sure if this is true or not just my opinion.

+1
    waste of money...with octane boost you aren't even adding 1 octane mark....it's more like .1-.2

+1
    On a stock ski you are wasting money you do not need it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lt92 View Post
    ........ a stock GP1200R ......
    Your "stock" boat was designed for about 87 octane. Mid grade or premium gas or any octane boosters are just a waste of your money.

octance boost dosent increase your power, the higher the octane level the slower the fuel burns (less power) but high compression motors have to run it because high octane fuel needs more compression to self combust than lower octane like 87, so basically you will have less power on high octane fuel but if your motor is modified and has high compression you would have to run higher octance if the motor "pings". you wont notice the difference between the different fuel but on theory thats how it is, they do say that premium fuel is "cleaner" because its more refined so if you love your motor then it dosent hurt to run premium just costs more

the stuff about premium being cleaner hasnt been true for a long time, it used to be that premium had more detergents and such than lower grade fuels but they all get the same additive package added these days. If you have a vehicle designed to run on 87 octane fuel and run a higher octane fuel it often times will not get a complete burn on the fuel (meaning WORSE mpg and LESS power) leading to carbon deposit buildup in the cylinder. Over time that buildup can actually raise compression in the cylinder, which is why it knocks/pings when you try to go back to 87 (this is over a period of years, not a few tanks or anything)

octane by itself does NOT add performance

as mentioned if an octane booster says it raises octane 4 points it would make 87 87.4, NOT 91! (this does not apply to additives such as Torco)

Not sure if I would do it in a 2 stroke but I run acetone in every 4 stroke and diesel I own.. My daily driver is an 05 dodge dually with a cummins and 2 oz per 10 gal increases my mileage and cuts down on smoke..It doesnt increase octane but breaks surface tension of the fuel and helps it to atomize better for a more complete burn..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dsg2003mach1 View Post
    the stuff about premium being cleaner hasnt been true for a long time, it used to be that premium had more detergents and such than lower grade fuels but they all get the same additive package added these days. If you have a vehicle designed to run on 87 octane fuel and run a higher octane fuel it often times will not get a complete burn on the fuel (meaning WORSE mpg and LESS power) leading to carbon deposit buildup in the cylinder. Over time that buildup can actually raise compression in the cylinder, which is why it knocks/pings when you try to go back to 87 (this is over a period of years, not a few tanks or anything)

octane by itself does NOT add performance

as mentioned if an octane booster says it raises octane 4 points it would make 87 87.4, NOT 91! (this does not apply to additives such as Torco)
    Yep, this is all true!

Also, GP1200 service manual says to run 86 octane (US Pump Octane Number). The compression ratio in the cylinders is low enough to run low grade octane. Anything else, and you are just wasting money.

Now, OTHER gasoline addatives like fuel stabilizer or fuel cleaner are fine in SMALL portions, and help clean out the carbs. The stabilizer is especially needed for winter storage.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    Your "stock" boat was designed for about 87 octane. Mid grade or premium gas or any octane boosters are just a waste of your money.
    enough said

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information