Exclamation Somebody tell me if this is normal or not?

I recently changed the impeller on my pump for an 07 stx 12-f. After changing it, I now notice that the bearing seal on the bottom part of the pump that gets covered by the stator cone is now spinning when I turn the impeller shaft by hand. Below is a video of what I'm talking about. I'm really afraid that this may not be normal and that water could get into my bearings. Please tell me if something needs to be done. Thanks

+1
    its normal its a floating bearing but yes it should be a little tighter, is that bearing new? it looks a little rusty, clean all the surfaces and use some loctite, the pump cone actually rests against it when its tightened up this slight pressure should stop it spinning, the later 300 pump has an oring in place to help this.

When you say clean all surfaces and use loctite do you mean clean the surface where the cone and pump and use loctite on the threads?

+1
    sort of that would be standard, remove the bearing and clean the bearing and pump surfaces use either bearing retainer or loctite on the bearing to pump (to stop it spinning)

I thought that if you removed the bearing it couldn't be reused?

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    its normal its a floating bearing but yes it should be a little tighter, is that bearing new? it looks a little rusty, clean all the surfaces and use some loctite, the pump cone actually rests against it when its tightened up this slight pressure should stop it spinning, the later 300 pump has an oring in place to help this.
    I have to disagree Corey

there is .3 too .4 mm gap between cone and rear bearing

i just measured 3 of my spare pumps i have on the shelf and all 3 are the same

rear bearring outter cage is 9.4mm in from rear face

and cone lip is 9.02mm ish

so you will end up with a .3 gap

but even in saying that it is NORMAL for the rear bearing to spin as it is NOT a press fit into the housing

and yes the 300x has a O ring their now ,

Waz

Thanks for all the feedback nic and sirbreaksalot. It seems like I should be alright but just to clarify things am I all good to reinstall the pump? I also plan to shoot that whole rear bearing seal up with grease as added protection from water intrusion.

P.S. Does anybody want to buy a stock impeller for an 07 stx 12f? Its still in pretty good condition. If not I'm gonna sell it to Impros

Bump. Gotta know for sure

+1
    know what youve been given all info

Thread Information